private residence paying for neighbouring tenants electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

private residence paying for neighbouring tenants electric

I have been asked for advice by a tenant ( not mine) .Situation is for the last 3 years electric that is supplied to a neighbour has been billed to them.It appears landlord has not put in separate electric supplies and one tenant is having to deal with a large bill.Landlord appears not to want to evict either tenant nor make one pay for their electric use.I suggested getting an electrician to disconnect supply ( no house involved) or making landlord pay .

Does your friend have the big red master power switch?

a) It depends how the situation arose as to whether the Utility company may be "at fault".
    b) Surely the neighbour realised they were getting free electricity? Have you asked them?

What did landlord say? If they know and are being uncooperative I would be inclined force the issue while carefully documenting what you do and all correspondence kept formal and issue formal invoices to Landlord:

I would

a) turn off the big switch when you go out or on holiday from now.
    b) Subtract 60% of the bill from your rent until they sort it out
    c) Calculate the approximate amount stolen and subtract that from rent too asking landlord to recoup from neighbour (or alternatively say you are happy to pay for electricity you are not using if it is agreed that your rent is reduced by £100/month).
    d) Also contact electric company and ask them to come around to see if a separate meter can be fitted. Ask landlord to pay. If they don't pay for it yourself and subtract from rent after following the Shelter procedure.

Then wait to see what happens.

Comment

"No house involved" - so what is the setup? Do NOT isolate the supply, illegal..

Comment

This sounds like something that the landlord either knew or should have known. Your friend should probably speak to a solicitor to see whether there is a case for suing the landlord to recover the overpayment.

Comment

Whether it is technically illegal or not to turn off the supply depends on whether the LL has admitted the tenant is being charged for the other property. If he has not, then the tenant has the right to turn off his own supply....
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Either the neighbour knows that their electricity is free, or believe that the landlord is collecting the cost of their power with rent.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The supply is to a shed on rented land.ll rented property to one person and land to another but failed to sort utilise out.New tenant has not been paid during their tenancy ,or matter addressed fairly

Comment

Work out the cost over 3 years, - say 60%
                Issue an invoice in the name of the landlord and the sub-tenants for the proceeding 3 years.
                Head the bill " Theft of electricity", followed on net line by, Electricity invoice from x/xx/1916. to June 2019

Send 3 copies to each - 1 to each of the 2 tenants and one to landlord.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
                Stating,
                Cost of electric used is 60% of the 3 preceeding years and there is only one meter at address xxxxxxxxxx
                This invoice must be paid in full by any party within 30 days.
                Thereafter the invoice becomes an unpaid invoice, and legal proceedings will be instigated to obtain payment , and also for the theft of electric of knowingly stealing electric from the bill payer.

If ALL parties wish not to have a criminal record for theft, ( this will affect your ability to rent in future / obtain credit, etc ) then it is imperative this invoice be paid within 30 days.

Note. ( on a separate sheet of paper, and not attached to the invoice, but in same envelope, and no date on it )
                I have an appliance (owned by me ) that may be defective and an electrician will be in attendance some time, to check it out, to make sure that it is my appliance, and not the main house wiring / fuses.
                This means that my electric supply ( note - My electric ) could be switched off at any time of day or night to check the problem, for a few minutes or a few days.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Of course you don't have a faulty appliance, but it is your right to switch of YOUR ELECTRIC to trace faults, and is of no concern of anyone else ( landlord or subtenants ).
                Then you can switch off your electric for 2 hours at a time every night, 7pm to 9 pm or whenever it caused the most inconvenience. or every alternate hour for an hour.
                Your fridge and freezer will be o.k. for two hours as no warm air can enter. and no defrosting will occur.

If worried about heating and freezer, just turn up the heat; and fridge / freezer from 2 to 7 for the hour before electric cut off. ( don't forget to reset after electric goes back on ! )

All above will seem far fetched, but as for 3 years nothing else has worked, this action has a chance of working.

Comment

Not disagreeing but the threat is unfortunately empty. Police will not want to know. Better to threaten civil action - a CCJ will affect your ability to gain credit etc

Comment

Also, if you're threatening reporting or prosecution of a criminal offence, it helps if you correctly identify the offence in question.

Abstracting of electricity.
                    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

For a criminal offence to exist, there has to be mens rea, i.e. the neighbour has to believe, that they did not have a right to the electricity.

Comment

What's in the shed that uses power?
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Even if you could prove abstracting electricity the Police would not charge it (in my opinion). This is usually the charge when meters have been bypassed (eg in cannabis farms)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X