Advice on concrete garage conversion please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on concrete garage conversion please

Hi, I am new to this forum, I hope you can offer some advice.
    My tenant has asked me for permission to convert the concrete garage into a studio for her photography business. I am considering letting them do this but I just wanted to make sure that everything would be above board and legal. Would I need to ask council for planning permission or could they convert it without it?
    Thank you.

Garage conversions normally require planning permission. This is also a partial change of use, which I think would also require permission. You can usually ask this sort of question of the planning department.

Comment

It sounds like the property will be used to run a business, which is likely to be a change of use.

It will probably require planning permission if it changes how the building looks from the outside, which affect the character of the area.

You don't want a tenant doing (or arranging) any kind of work on your property. It's your property, not theirs.

What are you going to do with a photographic studio when you're looking for a new tenant?

If they want a property with a studio, they should find one and rent it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If they are going to be taking portraits there, it will be difficult to get planning permission if the area is essentially residential, because of the number of visitors.

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
          So, if I went ahead with it, I would call my local council planning department.
          I will have a good think about it as it would be change to the garage completely with electrics, flooring and french doors put in too.
          I have had couple of bad tenants before and the tenants I have now have been great for the last 3 years, that's why I was considering it.
          ​​​​​​​Thanks again.

Comment

It may also need an EPC

Comment

And if they get cowboys in to do the conversion...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X