Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant Question - Trapped in contract in an Undersized room

Hello all,

In October of last year I moved to London, prior to starting a job a week later so found a room quickly. I signed a 3 year contract, with the clause that I could move out any time if I found a replacement. I didn't think this sounded too unreasonable at the time, and merely saw it as my rent being fixed for the next 3 years. The room was very small, and I have since measured it and found it to be 2.5 by 2.16 meters, so under the minimum room sizing rules for an HMO. I signed my contract on the 1st of October, moving in on the 2nd, so I believe these rules are in force. The house has 5 of us living in it, all of different households so is an HMO, but as it is part of a purpose built set of flats it does not require a license.

Now after a year I'm looking to move out, but when the landlord has provided the details for advertising the room, the asking price for rent is £100 higher than what I currently pay. With the high rent and very small room this has been really difficult.

As a result of this difficulty I'm looking at alternative ways to move out. I have spoken to my council, who have made it clear that if they inspected the room and found it to be too small, they would prevent the room from being let out again, but when I asked about what would happen for my current contract, they said I was mixing civil and criminal matters, and that they could not advise. I've also spoken to shelter who recommended using the threat of involving the council, (as well as the fact that my deposit was protected a few days late) to negotiate a termination of my contract.

If I were to begin these negotiations, the main point I don't understand is what repercussions there would be for the landlord. My contract ends in 2021, and if the council does not require the room to be vacated then would there be any reason for him to let me out? If the room cannot be re-let I would think he would try and keep me there as long as possible to get as much income as he could. Any assistance on anything I could do, whether related to the sharp increase in rent or to the under-sized room would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Basically your landlord is illegally letting a room. Shelter has provided all the advice, what else do you need?

Comment

I don't understand what happens to the landlord if he gets caught for it, would he actually get in trouble, or just told he can't re-let the room. If the second I don't see why this would encourage him to let me out.

Comment

I think the OP is looking for confirmation that the contract is frustrated, by the criminal actions of the landlord, and therefore he cannot be sued for the balance of three years' rent. I'd also wonder whether the rent is refundable.

My guess is that the last place that landlord wants to be seen is any form of court.

To the OP. Have you run the overcrowding calculations on the whole property? The minimum sizes of HMO rooms are based on minimum sizes for rooms for overcrowding, but for overcrowding some non-bedrooms are allowable. If all the rooms are that size, you will need two reasonably sized living rooms to avoid a criminal offence on simple overcrowding, as it is only large enough for a child under 10 (notionally half an adult).

Councils really don't like this sort of bed farm,so they may already be preparing to prosecute the landlord.

Comment

I think he can get a significant fine, even whilst you are still there. I'd expect him to be then declared to be not a fit and proper person, which would mean he would be ineligible for landlord licences in future.

Also, note that the exemption is not for all flats in multiple occupation, but only for purpose built ones in blocks of three or more flats.

Also, it is very likely that the landlord is in breach of his lease by:

- altering the internal layout;

- using it as other than a single family home;

- sub-letting part only,

although this will depend on the lease itself. The freeholder may want to take civil action, to forfeit the lease, or at least force the return to single family use or a sale to someone who will do that.

Comment

Thanks, I've just been worried that if I do look to negotiate, whether this issue would actually have any worth in the talks.

The property has 5 bedrooms, all of fairly small size but mine is the only beneath the minimum. Apart from bathrooms the only other room is an open plan kitchen/living room, which is of a mediocre size. If it makes a difference, we are all on separate contracts, with mine just being for the room I'm in as well as "shared right of access to the communal areas of the flat in common with the other occupants"

Comment

OP,, you can seek other suitable alt accom after you find an acceptable replacement from your departure date.
              LL can ask for any rent he deems appropriate at time.
              London can be the Wild West for renting, esp HMOs.

Comment

If you can't be bothered to fight and want to find a replacement you could simply just advertise the room at the price you pay (not rely on the agent who is asking for 100 more a month). You are finding a replacement... Not an upgrade. Advertising is normally free.

Once you are out you can decide whether to fight without living under a roof owned by someone you are sueing. You may be able to get rent repaid to you.
                ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Joetoria Ltd View Post
                  If you can't be bothered to fight and want to find a replacement you could simply just advertise the room at the price you pay (not rely on the agent who is asking for 100 more a month). You are finding a replacement... Not an upgrade. Advertising is normally free.

Once you are out you can decide whether to fight without living under a roof owned by someone you are sueing. You may be able to get rent repaid to you.
                  ​​
                  The OP would be committing an offence by accepting any offer to rent the room. Even the advertisement might be an offence.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

The OP would be committing an offence by accepting any offer to rent the room. Even the advertisement might be an offence.
                    Doesn't "offence" imply criminal behaviour?
                    Please elaborate on these offences.

Comment

It would appear that there is only an offence if a licence is required (or if the overall overcrowding limit applies - which would only be the case if all the other rooms were under 6.51 square metres). The HMO legislation sets conditions on the terms of licences, rather than directly setting conditions on HMO managers.

From what is said in the thread, it appears that the council think there is an offence, although it is possible they have been confused by the exemptions for flats in purpose built blocks of at least three flats. It might be worth checking for Additional Licensing, as it is possible that a licence is required even if the Mandatory licensing exemption applies.

What we have from the thread is that the council have said the room is illegal, and and they have also said they cannot deal with the interaction of civil and criminal law, by which I think they mean that they cannot comment on the effect on the contract of letting the room be a criminal offence.

I would have thought advertising something where you were statute barred from providing what was advertised must be subject to some sort of trading standards legislation.

On a different point, the OP should have treated the 3 year contract as a red flag. Landlords here are advised to go for six months and most agents go for one year.

Comment

I've assumed a reasonably sized kitchen living room. One might go statutorily overcrowded with only some other rooms less than 6.51 square metres, if the living room area is less than 10.2 square metres. If the living room has been split, to create a bedroom, it may well be small.

I wonder what the original layout was.

Especially if it is on a higher floor, and any of the current rooms don't open directly onto the hallway, there may be fire safety breaches, even as a single family flat.

Comment

I would have thought that the Council should at least have an interest under HHSRS as it sounds like there might be statutory overcrowding. If the tenant could confirm that they might be able to take, or at least threaten action themselves under the H(FFHH) Act.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

The OP mentioned that the contract states that they can replace themselves. I'm not talking about subletting.

The new contract would be between the new renter and the landlord... The existing tenant would be in no way responsible for the landlord renting the room below the required levels.

Comment

So, if a long leaseholder advertises a flat not fit for human habitation, as a viable home, they would be off the hook, because it was the freeholder's property that they selling?

I think advertising a property which is unlettable to gain the advantage of not having to pay the remaining rent would be fraud. Also, I rather suspect that the the landlord will only release them when the new renter is in place, so they would be aiding and abetting.

I think the best option may be to get the council to start action against the landlord.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
                                by hazedunks
                                Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
                                21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
                              • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
                                by leaseholder64
                                If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
                                20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
                              • Unilateral Break Clause
                                by PadHicks
                                Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
                                20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
                              • Reply to Online Letting Agents
                                by royw
                                I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
                                20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
                              • Online Letting Agents
                                by kathekas
                                Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

Many thanks
                                20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
                              • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                                by jpkeates
                                Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
                                You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
                                Ideally your solicitor...
                                20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
                              • Advise when buying a property
                                by alejandrog89
                                Hi,

We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
                                20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
                              • Reply to Possession of Property advice
                                by DPT57
                                Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
                                20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
                              • Possession of Property advice
                                by mirfie
                                Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
                                20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
                              • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                                by Flashback1966
                                Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

If it is a water pipe leak, it...
                                20-11-2019, 17:54 PM
                              Working...
                              X