Help and guidance on how to evict tenants (fast track)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and guidance on how to evict tenants (fast track)

I've served a two month notice for the tenant to leave because they stopped paying rent and have damaged the property.

Due to leave on 3rd of March 2008.

What happens if they don't leave.

What can I do to get them out of my property and onto the blacklist and CCJ?

If they don't leave the you're pretty much screwed. They've got all the power.

You'll need to apply to the court for a Possession Order which will take ages. There is some scope for an accelerated process if you've got an AST, although I'm not sure how much this actually speeds things up.

Of course once you've got the Possession Order they can ignore that too. So back to the courts to get a Court Bailiff appointed. And they are s-l-o-w.

And all of that is going to cost you money in legal fees that you can't reclaim. Great eh!

In the meantime they can change the locks without consulting you and continue to make your life hell.

Oh, and there is no 'blacklist'.

Comment

What does AST mean?

Comment

Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, which it what you should have used when you first admitted them as tenants.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by atearth View Post
          What does AST mean?
          Assured
          Shorthold
          Tenancy;
          see Housing Act 1988 (esp. sections 19A and 21).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by atearth View Post
            What does AST mean?
            Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Though if you don't know this, I'm surprised that you considered handing an asset worth many thousands to a person who you "trust" will look after it and pay rent.

You also don't say how the two months notice was given, under what legislation it was issued, any dates (when it was sent, when it expires etc).

As has already been written, looks like it is going to cost you dear.

By the way, accelerated possession procedures do in a significant number of cases take longer that standard possession procedures - if the tenant has received advice and uses the system.
            On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by andyr View Post
              Oh, and there is no 'blacklist'.
              But there is a Register of County Court Judgments.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

But there is a Register of County Court Judgments.
                As a private LL, what would be the best way of checking T against this list?

A search on the Registry Trust website for £8?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X