Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out errors

Good morning

I am a landlord and tenants recently departed.

The letting agents arranged for a check out report to be completed, but when I visited the property two days later, a lot was missed. I have requested an updated check out report.

I have made a claim against the deposit for deductions, but it now transpires that the tenants have a copy of the checkout report which didn’t record any damages.

Tenants now state that they have the report and disagree with damages, save for a couple.

A couple questions:

1. Assume that I am stuffed now trying to recover anything other than what is recorded in the first check out report (the wrong one)
    2. Tenants agree to some damages, but not labour costs to have repairs done. Will the deposit scheme adjudicator agree to labour costs?
    3. Will there be a right if recovery agains the tenants through the small claims court or against the agent for the awful check out report?

Another way in which unprofessional agents cause damage to their clients. Why on earth did they give the report to the tenants before it was examined for veracity?

Put it down to the cost of using an agent.

Tenant's cant agree to damage but not agree to aspects of the cost of correcting that damage. Given the operation of deposit schemes - you are probably mostly stuffed. Vote with your feet and DIY or find another agent unless they facilitate a correction of the current problem. The rate of rent you charge will or should take account of the fact that you are going to experience considerable unrecoverable losses as a result of the operation of the system. The good tenants pay the cost of this ultimately.

Inventory agents only have a partial view and have no right whatever to agree with or transmit anything at all to tenants - who are not their clients. Doubt you will have much success on this with SCC however but I would politely decline to pay their fee.

Comment

Was the check out done by an independent clerk? Who sent the report to the tenant before you had signed it off? That is really poor service, from whomever.

As a clerk I NEVER send check outs to anyone other than the person who commissions me. There are so many stages for a check out to go through before the tenant gets given the full picture and the clerk is never in a position to know the details.

If a clerk I would suggest you start with their complaints procedure and then report to whichever Association, if any, they belong to. And yes, refute their fee, maybe make a claim against their insurance!

If the agent, then pay them off and don't use them again!

Comment

If the tenants have admitted responsibility for some of the damage then it is worth claiming the full cost, less any deduction for wear and tear, from the deposit scheme. However as you haven't mentioned a deduction for wear and tear that could outweigh what they have offered,

You will have difficulty claiming from the tenants for any damage they have not admitted.

Was anyone in the property during the 2 days between reports? If not pursue whoever did the report.

Comment

Basically, forget about this whole 'inventory, deposit, adjudication', rigmarole. It's a complete farce. Just add maybe 5% to your rents.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Serving a Section 21 on inherited tenants
            VanDriver
            Hi all

I am interested in buying a freehold property at auction, arranged as two purpose built maisonettes. Both properties are tenanted, the tenants have been in occupation since 2005. Looking at the legal pack online the current landlord has done everything correctly. There is a signed...
            18-10-2019, 07:39 AM
          • Reply to Serving a Section 21 on inherited tenants
            theartfullodger
            [QUOTE=VanDriver;n1083398]
            I understand the AST starts 2005. But there may have been an earlier tenancy, and if early enough they the 2005 AST won't actually be an AST. ASK THE TENANT - vendor, estate agent, solicitor won't know/won't tell truth.

Key dates are 15 January 1989 -...
            18-10-2019, 14:46 PM
          • Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
            PotatoHead
            I've had several different tenants rent my house in the past few years, each tends to stay about a year (fairly transient area).

Each one has asked to change broadband/tv/phone provider, one did it without asking. The result is Sky/Virgin/BT drilling new holes each year into my walls to...
            15-10-2019, 21:11 PM
          • Reply to Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
            John Duff
            There have always been clauses to that effect in my TAs. However, having spelt that out to tenants at signing, many will ignore. Expect to be awarded peanuts from deposit.

Recently had another dish installed adjacent to the existing at a property I own. Tenant has (without permission) dish...
            18-10-2019, 14:44 PM
          • Repossession query
            Wellybike
            Hi, new LL to this forum. I rented a property to 2 tenants on an Assured Shorthold tenancy on 24 March 2018. I didn't supply an EPC or checklist. It was rented in London and there was no initial fixed term. Rent due 24th of each month and a deposit paid. OK, now one tenant wants to have the whole flat....
            18-10-2019, 14:17 PM
          • Reply to Repossession query
            jpkeates
            If they're joint tenants, you can only end the tenancy for both of them (notice and court will be required if one of them is reluctant to go).
            You can supply the EPC and How to Rent guide before serving notice (but make sure the How to Rent guide is the right version).

The tenant...
            18-10-2019, 14:42 PM
          • Reply to Tenants and Sky/Virgin etc
            Raiden328i
            Funny enough we only got fibre a year ago on our road. I was told for years we wouldn't get it because it would cause too much chaos but as there are a lot of new builds in the area the street eventually got it along with other stuff but its been a nightmare shutting down the roads every 5 mins. I...
            18-10-2019, 14:35 PM
          • tenant with 3 kids
            abc777uu
            Hi,
            My current tenant has 2 kids and living in my 2 bed flat.
            the kids are a 5 years old girl and a 6 months old baby boy.
            recently, I came to know that the tenant’s wife is pregnant.
            by law, can they stay in 2 bed flat with 3 kids?

Please advise.
            Thanks...
            16-10-2019, 14:10 PM
          • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
            John Duff
            Sorry haven't read the full thread re. overcrowding but here's my story:

Couple rented my 2 bed with 2 children working part LHA. They really wanted a council house from day 1. Council advised to find accommodation in PRS and they were placed low down on waiting list.

Year...
            18-10-2019, 14:33 PM
          • Reply to tenant with 3 kids
            theartfullodger
            I am safe as a landlord until the 3rd kid is MORE than 1 year.
            - or -
            I am safe as a landlord WHILST the 3rd kid is less than 1 year....
            18-10-2019, 14:29 PM
          Working...
          X