Gov allowing tenants to buy PRS housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
    No point worrying until there are concrete proposals in a bill.
    I agree, but that's the point where you're too late!

Comment

Originally posted by flexy View Post
      What's scary about them in terms of being a landlord? I may have missed something!
      They're committed to ending s21 and making long term (3 year) tenancies the default - without making headlines like labour do.

Labour's priority is likely to be social housing (and affordable housing), with the PRS being taken on.
      The Lib Dems are quietly more radical about the PRS and I suspect that their manifesto this time will be quite tenant centric.

Their headline (Remain) policy tends to block out any consideration of what else they propose and I think they may surprise a lot of people this time.
      They've got a fairly rational sounding leader for a start.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

McDonnell is one dangerous fruit bat!

Comment

He's scarily rational sounding for a communist!
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I am in a bit of a quandary about this. I have 2 approximately 100yr old houses on my land (a farm). I would hate to be in a position where I was forced to sell the houses (and have neighbours in the middle of my land I have absolutely no control over). I’d rather demolish the houses and have done with it.
            But if I demolish them, (apart from losing an income stream) I’d lose the ability to re-build in the future. My long term (20yr) plans are that, if either of my children wish to farm, I’ll demolish the houses and rebuild as my retirement home.
            I’m currently evicting one couple(s21), and am formulating plans to renovate that property but I’m wondering if it’s all worth it, what with the likely removal of s21 and the possible right to buy.

Comment

Mogino

Banned

Comment

Originally posted by Slackjawedyokel View Post
                I’m currently evicting one couple(s21), and am formulating plans to renovate that property but I’m wondering if it’s all worth it, what with the likely removal of s21 and the possible right to buy.
                There comes a point where the number of things that might happen is so high that it becomes next to impossible to actually plan anything.
                But, if I were you, I'd just hang on for a few months.

Who knows what'll happen?
                My own guess is that it will take the upcoming general election (that will be inconclusive), new leaders of the two major parties as a consequence and another general election to have any sense of where we're going.

Comment

I'm coming to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter who gets in. One lot may attack the rentals market differently to another, but fundamentally the whole business case is closed to screwed and I'm probably better off jumping before forced to do so (whilst everyone else will be doing the same!)... In reality I think I'm too late already.. The unfortunate effect of this is that I will need to evict my (good) tenant and put them in a position where they'll need to find somewhere to move to, even though the rental availability is reduced significantly. Hang on - isn't this is all what they are trying to stop :-)

Shame the current Brexit stalemate situation seems to have made the market stagnate, but IF something actually moves forward on this, maybe we'll be able to get it sold off before the next punishment!

Of course, this could all be a bit of an over-reaction, but... I'd rather loose a bit of an opportunity than I would a lot of my pension!

Comment

Private Renters

More than 11 million people rent from a private landlord and many of them are at the sharp end of the housing crisis. We will take urgent action to protect private renters through rent controls, open-ended tenancies, and new, binding minimum standards.

Labour will stop runaway rents by capping them with inflation, and give cities powers to cap rents further.

We will give renters the security they need to make their rented housing a home, with new open-ended tenancies to stop unfair, ‘no fault’ evictions. We will make sure every property is up to scratch with new minimum standards, enforced through nationwide licensing and tougher sanctions for landlords who flout the rules.

We will fund new renters’ unions in every part of the country – to allow renters to organise and defend their rights.

We will get rid of the discriminatory rules that require landlords to check people’s immigration status or that allow them to exclude people on housing benefit. We will give councils new powers to regulate short-term lets through companies such as Airbnb.
                    So it didn't make the Labour Manifesto.

Interesting to see if the end of s21 makes it into the other parties manifestos (it was already a Conservative policy under the last government).

Comment

To reform the private rental sector, we will:

Help young people into the rental market by establishing a new Help to Rent scheme to provide government-backed tenancy deposit loans for all first-time renters under 30.
                      Promote longer tenancies of three years or more with an inflation-linked annual rent increase built in, to give tenants security and limit rent hikes.
                      Improve protections against rogue landlords through mandatory licensing.
                      Not the Liberal Democrats - other than as part of the 3 year tenancy "idea".

Comment

We live in 'interesting times'. The politics of all the parties are very populist which means that anything can happen and very quickly.
                        What we know for sure (well say 98% likely) is that Section 21 will disappear with the rewriting of the Housing Act. AST's will no longer be legal arrangements and thus all tenancies will become open ended. There will have to be 'outs' for property owners to evict tenants if for instance they can no longer afford to keep the property due to say interest rate rises and rental caps, death of the landlord etc. I think we can assume that no legislation will be retrospective. Also that evictions will likely be possible for anti-social behaviour or abuse, running of illegal activities et al.
                        At a National housing forum meeting I attended last week, the anticipation was that 35% of new builds will be bought and rented since the 'Affordable Homes' schemes will not deliver. We are moving to a more European style of housing market. Ironic that!
                        Tear this all up if we get a Marxist Government of course as all bets will be off.
                        In preparing: I have not renewed my lodger's licences just in case they would be able to buy a proportion of my house, say my ground floor toilet which I am very fond of due to its sunny aspect, I am transferring ownership of the properties to my children who may need somewhere to live and will only allow ASTs on any contracts which renew in the next 6 months. I can do no more since I cannot sell anything at the moment.
                        We live in 'interesting times'.

Comment

I just heard on the 6pm news that what did make it into the Labour manifesto is a pledge to raise CGT rates to be the same as income tax, ie up to 50%

Comment

I've got one empty house and will have another soon. I'm not letting until I see which party gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                              I just heard on the 6pm news that what did make it into the Labour manifesto is a pledge to raise CGT rates to be the same as income tax, ie up to 50%
                              If I put my houses in both mine and for each house, one of my children, will that affect CGT?

Comment

Anyone out there with any views on this matter, if landlords had a private company or tie the property up in some kind of Trust?
                                I understand that housing associations can not sell their stock off, and then there is courts.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X