• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mogino View Post
    so-called statistics
    What do you mean by this?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

What do you mean by this?
      Statistics are viewed as and often claimed as being "the truth".
      However, this is not so and cannot ever be so. At best, they are a guess.
      It also depends on the question/hypothesis the statistics are setup to answer or "prove".
      Furthermore, the architect of the question/hypothesis will arrange the data to prove or disprove something, whichever is the answer they seek.
      This is not truth. It is basic manipulation.

Finally, people actually know very little about life, but we claim to know a lot. The way people have chosen to function and behave in life, and also because every single person is unique, means that all a single person can really say, in any given moment in time for any particular thing, is that something looks like being so or not being so, for them. In an hour's time, tomorrow, next month, it will be different.

Nothing is ever unmoving and unchanging. Even stone/rocks move, albeit extremely slowly in our perception.
      This is why clinical trials are defective in concept, because these trials can only say that something was so or not so, for the people they tested "X" on, in those moments that it was tested on them. Nothing more can be said. Yet those who are behind these trials make all kinds of baseless extrapolations and conclusions, for everyone who will use "X".

Comment

This is why clinical trials are defective in concept, because these trials can only say that something was so or not so, for the people they tested "X" on, in those moments that it was tested on them. Nothing more can be said. Yet those who are behind these trials make all kinds of baseless extrapolations and conclusions, for everyone who will use "X".
        This is just nonsense.

If you perform a clinical trial on 10 people and hold their heads underwater for 48 hours, all of them will drown.
        You can extrapolate from that that holding someone's head underwater for 48 hours will kill them.

Similarly, 17 plus 17 is 34 (in base 10).
        That's a fact.
        It will always be the case and that makes it a truth.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          This is just nonsense.

If you perform a clinical trial on 10 people and hold their heads underwater for 48 hours, all of them will drown.
          You can extrapolate from that that holding someone's head underwater for 48 hours will kill them.
          Since you are incapable of sense and reason, there is no point in responding to my posts.
          It is also quite obvious that you have nothing better to do in your life than heckle and troll.

Comment

Since you are incapable of sense and reason, there is no point in responding to my posts.
            This is a public forum and you don't get to decide who responds to your posts (and nor do I).

It's also a forum for landlord issues, such as whether a potential future labour government might allow tenants to purchase houses from private landlords.
            I'm not entirely clear what the assertion that statistics are "a guess" is actually contributing to that discussion.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think this post is going a bit off subject. Keep your ears and eyes open for any news on the right to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                I think this post is going a bit off subject. Keep your ears and eyes open for any news on the right to buy.
                General election in December!
                Means manifestos in a week or so.

Comment

Should be interesting. I never thought I'd be so old and mature enough to look forward with excitement to manifestos! And I'm not being sarcastic either.

Comment

So... if Labour get in, how do LLs here think they will respond? ;-) And how long until they will get in this right to buy legislation?

I'm preparing to bail out!.....But I'm guessing I'm not the only one, so could be too late!
                    .....Discuss!

Comment

Originally posted by flexy View Post
                      So... if Labour get in, how do LLs here think they will respond? ;-) And how long until they will get in this right to buy legislation?

I'm preparing to bail out!.....But I'm guessing I'm not the only one, so could be too late!
                      .....Discuss!
                      I'm not sure how I'll respond. I'll have to see the finer details. If the tenants have a RTB after, say 3 years, would issuing a tenancy renewal/ new tenancy mean the tenancy starts again as a new tenancy? Would issuing a s21 mean they couldn't buy? I've remortgaged, and with falling house prices (in some places) and the tenant discount, could I be forced into debt? How would it work for people with negative equity?

I just don't know

Comment

At least the election means that the Labour Party (and the others*) will have to explain what its short term plans for the rental sector are and give some detail.

They'll need a manifesto next week, I'd imagine.

*I think the Lib Dems is likely to be the most scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post

I'm not sure how I'll respond. I'll have to see the finer details. If the tenants have a RTB after, say 3 years, would issuing a tenancy renewal/ new tenancy mean the tenancy starts again as a new tenancy? Would issuing a s21 mean they couldn't buy? I've remortgaged, and with falling house prices (in some places) and the tenant discount, could I be forced into debt? How would it work for people with negative equity?

I just don't know
                          IIRC, the labour proposal was for the discount to be paid by the tax payer, not for LL to get less.

However, anything could happen.
                          No point worrying until there are concrete proposals in a bill.

Comment

I've just heard a rumour that McDonnell stated on LBC last night that this proposal is being withdrawn.
                            https://www.property118.com/landlord...comment-118304

Or maybe only "the most wealthy" landlords will be affected.
                            https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/m...t-to-buy-plan/

Comment

"the most wealthy" landlords he considers to be those who have more than 1 or 2 properties. it would be great if landlords with only 1 or 2 houses as their main income could be classed as "most wealthy".

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                                *I think the Lib Dems is likely to be the most scary.
                                What's scary about them in terms of being a landlord? I may have missed something!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
                                  by hazedunks
                                  Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
                                  21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
                                • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
                                  by leaseholder64
                                  If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
                                  20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
                                • Unilateral Break Clause
                                  by PadHicks
                                  Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
                                  20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
                                • Reply to Online Letting Agents
                                  by royw
                                  I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
                                  20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
                                • Online Letting Agents
                                  by kathekas
                                  Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

Many thanks
                                  20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
                                • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                                  by jpkeates
                                  Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
                                  You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
                                  Ideally your solicitor...
                                  20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
                                • Advise when buying a property
                                  by alejandrog89
                                  Hi,

We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
                                  20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
                                • Reply to Possession of Property advice
                                  by DPT57
                                  Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
                                  20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
                                • Possession of Property advice
                                  by mirfie
                                  Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
                                  20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
                                • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                                  by Flashback1966
                                  Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

If it is a water pipe leak, it...
                                  20-11-2019, 17:54 PM
                                Working...
                                X