Gov allowing tenants to buy PRS housing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mogino View Post
    You don't know that and nor does anyone else. You can guess, speculate, believe, but you don't know, anymore than anyone knows when (not if) the supermassive black hole in our galaxy will start re-feeding and if it does, it will very quickly gobble up our tiny little solar system into its void.
    That's a fallacy.

In some sense, it's possible to argue that nothing is knowable.
    But that's not a viable way of going through life.
    There's no 100% certainty that the sun will rise tomorrow, but it almost certainly will, so you'd better be prepared to get up and go to work.

With things that are not so certain, it's a matter of the degree of belief and the effect of acting or not.
    I feel pretty confident I could stand here with my eyes closed for 2 minutes and be OK*.
    I don't feel a confident that would work on the middle lane of the M6, so i don't do that.
    I'm not 100% sure I'd be knocked over, but it seems quite likely, so I behave accordingly.

A lot of people have suggested that leaving the EU will damage the UK economy, and you can decide whether you believe them or not and behave accordingly.
    But it doesn't make any sense to take no position because there isn't 100% certainty.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      That's a fallacy.
      Umm, no, its a fact.

In some sense, it's possible to argue that nothing is knowable.
      But that's not a viable way of going through life.
      Humans have long decided to go through life that way, mostly because this is how they have been taught and conditioned to.
      And also, they see almost everyone behaving that way (and decide that is a determinant/factor of how they should behave, which is also instilled in us). But it doesn't mean any one person has to do that. We always have a choice.
      We could choose not to mix up all of imagined things (which do not exist) with what does exist in reality, as over 99% of people do.

I feel pretty confident I could stand here with my eyes closed for 2 minutes and be OK*.
      I don't feel a confident that would work on the middle lane of the M6, so i don't do that.
      I'm not 100% sure I'd be knocked over, but it seems quite likely, so I behave accordingly.
      There is a difference between putting your hand in the fire, or in the mouth of a shark/lion, and engaging in imagined things which only exist in the mind.

But it doesn't make any sense to take no position because there isn't 100% certainty.
      No-one has to take a position, on imagined things. It is entirely people's free choice to do so.
      But doing so does nothing at all for anyone who does, except more suffering.

Comment

Umm, no, its a fact.
        It's not possible for a philosophical position that nothing is 100% knowable to also accommodate the notion of a "fact".

The two notions are mutually exclusive.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It's not possible for a philosophical position that nothing is 100% knowable
          I have not said such a thing,

If you pour water into a glass and when the amount of water reaches the top, the water then flows over the rim and onto whatever surface the glass is resting on. No person needs to do this a 2nd or more times to see if a different outcome takes place.

There is a clear difference between real things (what we can sense with one of 5 senses) and imagined things.
          What I was commenting on is the latter (the source of all human suffering), not the former.

My posts have nothing to do with philosophy.

Comment

It's almost guaranteed to happen in some guise or another I'm afraid. Even under the Conservatives. Remember how they kept pinching labour policies (e.g. meddling in the energy market or tenant fees/S21 ban)?

Comment

Originally posted by John Duff View Post
              It's almost guaranteed to happen in some guise or another I'm afraid. Even under the Conservatives. Remember how they kept pinching labour policies (e.g. meddling in the energy market or tenant fees/S21 ban)?
              I think a lot of that was liberals in the House of Lords. The sooner we get rid of that shower, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I think a lot of that was liberals in the House of Lords. The sooner we get rid of that shower, the better.
                With the utter chaos going on at the moment i would rule nothing out, and what happened in the past is exactly that ..... the past and cannot be looked at as an indicator of what may happen in the future, i am keeping a very open mind coupled with a total distrust of ANY govt who comes into power, if this looks to be coming in i am jumping ship before the masses do.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

I should have said at the third tertile. In 2018:

67.5% of people aged 55 or over in London own their own home
                  31% of people age 35 to 44 own their own home
                  I really do hate statistics! Does this mean 98.5% of Londoners over the age of 35 are home owners?

Comment

It's not possible for a philosophical position that nothing is 100% knowable to also accommodate the notion of a "fact".

The two notions are mutually exclusive.

You are misunderstanding things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post

I really do hate statistics! Does this mean 98.5% of Londoners over the age of 35 are home owners?
                      No.
                      Not at all.

Comment

You don't know that and nor does anyone else. You can guess, speculate, believe, but you don't know, anymore than anyone knows when (not if) the supermassive black hole in our galaxy will start re-feeding and if it does, it will very quickly gobble up our tiny little solar system into its void.

Nobody knows what will happen when the UK leaves the EU and so living with imagined things as if they were real, is 100% pointless and is the No.1 cause of why over 97% of the people in the world suffer in some way.
                        Rubbish. It's true that I dont know what will happen and nor does anyone else. Doesnt mean I cant extrapolate from the facts and decide which is the bigger risk - a Corbyn government or a trashed economy. This is like saying you live in a flood risk area but dont make plans to protect your property because you dont know when it's going to flood.

Exactly how much damage will be done is impossible to predict, that there will be substantial damage is not. Foreign speculators will be picking up some property and that will provide a floor for house prices. However the latest right wing carry on mean that this country looks like its heading for a right wing coup and will lose it's attraction as a safe well managed haven. If I was younger I'd leave for a place better able to withstand climate change, another forseeable disaster more people will ignore until its too late.

Comment

obviously not. No mention of the 44-55 group so impossible to work out a figure even if these statistics were true.

To quote a statistician

"The old saying is that “figures will not lie,” but a new saying is “liars will figure.” It is our duty, as practical statisticians, to prevent the liar from figuring; in other words, to prevent him from perverting the truth, in the interest of some theory he wishes to establish."

Comment

The percentage is 100 * (number of people between 35 and 44 * 0.31 + number of people aged over 55 * 9,675 + number of people aged between 45 and 54 * fraction of people aged between 45 and 54 owning homes) / (number of people between 35 and 44 + number people aged over 55 + number of people between 45 an 54).

From that, all you can say is that the percentage is neither 0% nor 100%.

One could make various, probably reasonable assumptions that would result in the answer being somewhere between 31% and 67.5%, but you would need the percentage owned by those between 45 and 54, before one could be certain.

None of this will tell the proportion of houses. Also, these figures may well be from the 2011 census, and seriously out of date.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                              Rubbish. It's true that I dont know what will happen and nor does anyone else. Doesnt mean I cant extrapolate from the facts
                              We don't have any facts to extrapolate from. Yes, we have fears, theories, anxieties, imagined things, beliefs, etc. But facts, no.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                                Doesnt mean I cant extrapolate from the facts
                                And no-one has to extrapolate anything. Those who do so, freely choose to do so. There is no need to do this, for anyone.
                                I know some companies have chosen to take various actions (and others who have followed suit like sheep), but these are all premature actions and are entirely based on negative things which do not exist in reality, such as beliefs, fears, worries, anxieties, imagined things, etc., and that these negative unreal things will probably have been based on so-called statistics, which are nothing more than guesswork/opinion/imagination, and which are rooted in fears, etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X