Gov allowing tenants to buy PRS housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has just popped into my inbox. Interesting definition of 'sitting tenants'.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...ons-for-good-1

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Looking at appendix 1 of the phase 1 Grenfell report...

The exact state of leaseholder entrance doors was unknown, but they were presumed to be original and had not been upgraded.

The council were not responsible for maintaining them.

There was an on going dispute with LFB about how to enforce against non-compliant leaseholder entrance doors, which suggests that there there were serious concerns that there was non-compliance.

"Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats" specifically raises the question of leaseholders replacing with unsuitable doors for cosmetic reasons (it's happened for internal fire doors in our blocks). My experience is that they will remove closers, because they are an inconvenience, and do not consider them something to spend money on when they were never there.

I suspect leaseholder complaints were more about housekeeping and exposed gas pipes than fire doors.

Comment

Do you think our MPS would take any notice? I believe we voted to leave the EU but our MPs don't seem to be taking any notice of that!

Comment

Does anyone have any figures on just how much of the council houing stock sold cheaply to tenants has since been sold on, and are now in the private rental sector?
          (The private sector not social rental HA's).

We often see LLs here saying that their BTL property is ex-council stock.

Comment

My rental property is ex-council stock. But as I live in a new town, my own home is also ex-council stock.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
              Does anyone have any figures on just how much of the council houing stock sold cheaply to tenants has since been sold on, and are now in the private rental sector?

I'd be interested to know how long after selling to the tenant did the tenant sell on and at what profit.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...vate-landlords

It's from December 2017 (and it's from the Guardian), but that's the best I can find.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

"If the current trend continues, more than half of all Right to Buy homes will be rented privately by 2026, according to the research by Inside Housing magazine."
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have 3 ex-council houses.

Comment

It's inevitable that they end up being sold.
                      People who qualify for council housing aren't usually that well off and aren't stupid.

Buying the property is a no-brainer, and a few years later, releasing a life-improving amount of equity is the same.
                      A proportion of all property sales are made to let them out, so a proportion end up being rented.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        It's inevitable that they end up being sold.
                        People who qualify for council housing aren't usually that well off and aren't stupid.

Buying the property is a no-brainer, and a few years later, releasing a life-improving amount of equity is the same.
                        A proportion of all property sales are made to let them out, so a proportion end up being rented.
                        Indeed, so it would also be interesting to know just how many were sold on to private buyers to live in rather than rent out.

(If you were being cynical you could suspect that it was the intention all along to move council rental stock into the private rental sector, with a 'sweetner' to the existing council tenants to be the middle man in the process).

Comment

Since 2005, anyone selling a right to buy property has to give first refusal to whoever they bought it from before they can sell it on the open market.

Without increasing house prices funding people's spending, the UK economy would be in a much worse state.
                          It's why home ownership is so popular with politicians.
                          At some points in recent history it was almost like having another income.

Comment

I wrote a long post which basically said stop panicing, it aint going to happen.

Not Labour Party policy - that's to build more council houses and provide extra protection for tenants.

It was going to be aimed at slum landlords so not looking after your property would make you a target.

This is a conservative country, Corbyn wont win an election. His own chance of becoming pm is a vote of no confidence in Boris and if he tried to put a government together the price would be abandoning the dafter ideas, otherwise there would just be a general election anyway, he can easily be voted out.

I really doubt the figures for asset wealth in London as most of central London is no longer owned by the British. I tired to post a link to demonstrate that and the post was reported as spam, which it wasnt. So you'll have to google who owns London to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                              The Tories are hell bent on leaving the EU, something that is going to seriously damage the economy and result in the fall in house prices in London spreading to other parts of the country.
                              You don't know that and nor does anyone else. You can guess, speculate, believe, but you don't know, anymore than anyone knows when (not if) the supermassive black hole in our galaxy will start re-feeding and if it does, it will very quickly gobble up our tiny little solar system into its void.

Nobody knows what will happen when the UK leaves the EU and so living with imagined things as if they were real, is 100% pointless and is the No.1 cause of why over 97% of the people in the world suffer in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                                I

Not Labour Party policy - that's to build more council houses and provide extra protection for tenants.

It was going to be aimed at slum landlords so not looking after your property would make you a target.

It might not be their policy right now but they have said they want to bring it in along with owners of second homes being responsible for the, increased, council tax.

How do you know it's going to be aimed at slum landlords only? the bloke on the Andrew Marr show didn't specify that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X