Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Duff
    replied
    It's almost guaranteed to happen in some guise or another I'm afraid. Even under the Conservatives. Remember how they kept pinching labour policies (e.g. meddling in the energy market or tenant fees/S21 ban)?

Leave a comment:

• Mogino
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    It's not possible for a philosophical position that nothing is 100% knowable
    I have not said such a thing,

If you pour water into a glass and when the amount of water reaches the top, the water then flows over the rim and onto whatever surface the glass is resting on. No person needs to do this a 2nd or more times to see if a different outcome takes place.

There is a clear difference between real things (what we can sense with one of 5 senses) and imagined things.
    What I was commenting on is the latter (the source of all human suffering), not the former.

My posts have nothing to do with philosophy.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Mogino View Post
    Umm, no, its a fact.
    It's not possible for a philosophical position that nothing is 100% knowable to also accommodate the notion of a "fact".

The two notions are mutually exclusive.

Leave a comment:

• Mogino
    replied
    That's a fallacy.
    Umm, no, its a fact.

In some sense, it's possible to argue that nothing is knowable.
    But that's not a viable way of going through life.
    Humans have long decided to go through life that way, mostly because this is how they have been taught and conditioned to.
    And also, they see almost everyone behaving that way (and decide that is a determinant/factor of how they should behave, which is also instilled in us). But it doesn't mean any one person has to do that. We always have a choice.
    We could choose not to mix up all of imagined things (which do not exist) with what does exist in reality, as over 99% of people do.

I feel pretty confident I could stand here with my eyes closed for 2 minutes and be OK*.
    I don't feel a confident that would work on the middle lane of the M6, so i don't do that.
    I'm not 100% sure I'd be knocked over, but it seems quite likely, so I behave accordingly.
    There is a difference between putting your hand in the fire, or in the mouth of a shark/lion, and engaging in imagined things which only exist in the mind.

But it doesn't make any sense to take no position because there isn't 100% certainty.
    No-one has to take a position, on imagined things. It is entirely people's free choice to do so.
    But doing so does nothing at all for anyone who does, except more suffering.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Mogino View Post
    You don't know that and nor does anyone else. You can guess, speculate, believe, but you don't know, anymore than anyone knows when (not if) the supermassive black hole in our galaxy will start re-feeding and if it does, it will very quickly gobble up our tiny little solar system into its void.
    That's a fallacy.

In some sense, it's possible to argue that nothing is knowable.
    But that's not a viable way of going through life.
    There's no 100% certainty that the sun will rise tomorrow, but it almost certainly will, so you'd better be prepared to get up and go to work.

With things that are not so certain, it's a matter of the degree of belief and the effect of acting or not.
    I feel pretty confident I could stand here with my eyes closed for 2 minutes and be OK*.
    I don't feel a confident that would work on the middle lane of the M6, so i don't do that.
    I'm not 100% sure I'd be knocked over, but it seems quite likely, so I behave accordingly.

A lot of people have suggested that leaving the EU will damage the UK economy, and you can decide whether you believe them or not and behave accordingly.
    But it doesn't make any sense to take no position because there isn't 100% certainty.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
    I

Not Labour Party policy - that's to build more council houses and provide extra protection for tenants.

It was going to be aimed at slum landlords so not looking after your property would make you a target.

It might not be their policy right now but they have said they want to bring it in along with owners of second homes being responsible for the, increased, council tax.

How do you know it's going to be aimed at slum landlords only? the bloke on the Andrew Marr show didn't specify that.

Leave a comment:

• Mogino
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
    The Tories are hell bent on leaving the EU, something that is going to seriously damage the economy and result in the fall in house prices in London spreading to other parts of the country.
    You don't know that and nor does anyone else. You can guess, speculate, believe, but you don't know, anymore than anyone knows when (not if) the supermassive black hole in our galaxy will start re-feeding and if it does, it will very quickly gobble up our tiny little solar system into its void.

Nobody knows what will happen when the UK leaves the EU and so living with imagined things as if they were real, is 100% pointless and is the No.1 cause of why over 97% of the people in the world suffer in some way.

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    I wrote a long post which basically said stop panicing, it aint going to happen.

Not Labour Party policy - that's to build more council houses and provide extra protection for tenants.

It was going to be aimed at slum landlords so not looking after your property would make you a target.

This is a conservative country, Corbyn wont win an election. His own chance of becoming pm is a vote of no confidence in Boris and if he tried to put a government together the price would be abandoning the dafter ideas, otherwise there would just be a general election anyway, he can easily be voted out.

I really doubt the figures for asset wealth in London as most of central London is no longer owned by the British. I tired to post a link to demonstrate that and the post was reported as spam, which it wasnt. So you'll have to google who owns London to find out.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Since 2005, anyone selling a right to buy property has to give first refusal to whoever they bought it from before they can sell it on the open market.

Without increasing house prices funding people's spending, the UK economy would be in a much worse state.
    It's why home ownership is so popular with politicians.
    At some points in recent history it was almost like having another income.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    It's inevitable that they end up being sold.
    People who qualify for council housing aren't usually that well off and aren't stupid.

Buying the property is a no-brainer, and a few years later, releasing a life-improving amount of equity is the same.
    A proportion of all property sales are made to let them out, so a proportion end up being rented.
    Indeed, so it would also be interesting to know just how many were sold on to private buyers to live in rather than rent out.

(If you were being cynical you could suspect that it was the intention all along to move council rental stock into the private rental sector, with a 'sweetner' to the existing council tenants to be the middle man in the process).

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It's inevitable that they end up being sold.
    People who qualify for council housing aren't usually that well off and aren't stupid.

Buying the property is a no-brainer, and a few years later, releasing a life-improving amount of equity is the same.
    A proportion of all property sales are made to let them out, so a proportion end up being rented.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    I have 3 ex-council houses.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    "If the current trend continues, more than half of all Right to Buy homes will be rented privately by 2026, according to the research by Inside Housing magazine."

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    Does anyone have any figures on just how much of the council houing stock sold cheaply to tenants has since been sold on, and are now in the private rental sector?
    (The private sector not social rental HA's).

We often see LLs here saying that their BTL property is ex-council stock.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...vate-landlords

It's from December 2017 (and it's from the Guardian), but that's the best I can find.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    Does anyone have any figures on just how much of the council houing stock sold cheaply to tenants has since been sold on, and are now in the private rental sector?
    (The private sector not social rental HA's).

We often see LLs here saying that their BTL property is ex-council stock.
    I'd be interested to know how long after selling to the tenant did the tenant sell on and at what profit.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X