Agent in liquidation - query over tenancy

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mariner
    Who is named as LL on Ts AST?
    Get confirmation that you are now resp for LAs Ts living in your properties, with same T&Cs.
    Who protected the Deposit?
    You may have to provide Ts with a new address for 'Service of Notices'.

    Leave a comment:

  • Jon66
    Will the tenancy be vested in the trustee which will be the insolvency practitioner? Once they have discharged their duties, assuming there is little value in the tenancies, they will revert to you. If the tenancies have value, then conceivably they could sell that interest but your first port of call would be to discuss with the trustee what happens, which will be the IP.

    Leave a comment:

  • leaseholder64
    I don't think they will be squatting. I think they will still have a valid tenancy. The question is with whom.

    Leave a comment:

  • Libeth
    Thanks for your reply. We are registered as creditors and are in talks with the council about the tenants. Some tenants have contacted us directly to discuss payments.

    We had a number of reasons for using the company which worked well for us for 10 years and we were aware of the social tenants. The guaranteed rent and 10 year leases for properties with them was a selling point!

    We were primarily wondering if the tenants would end up squatting in the properties after the insolvency. But that does not seem to be the case.

    Thanks agian for the reply.

    Leave a comment:

  • AndrewDod
    Did you register with companies house as a creditor and object to the dissolution of the company?

    From the point of view of the tenants the landlord is their landlord. The company in administration will be owed rent, and you will be a creditor of the company. I am no expert, but generally a company’s contracts remain enforceable upon insolvency.

    I think you are in a pretty bad position and you need urgent expert advice and you need to remain in contact with companies house and the liquidators.

    Too late for you, BUT NEVER EVER act as landlord via an intermediary (and never ever let to "social tenants" either unless you know exactly what you are doing and how to manage the risks).

    Leave a comment:

  • Libeth
    started a topic Agent in liquidation - query over tenancy

    Agent in liquidation - query over tenancy

    Hi everyone. I’ve several properties which I lease to a lettings agent and they then sub let to the tenants. The tenancy agreement states the agents as the landlord to the tenant. The rent was guaranteed. This company have now gone into administration and will be liquidated in 2 weeks. The tenants are all social tenants and many do not engage with the agency.

    Could someone one give me some clarification on where we stand with the tenancy agreements once the company has gone. We have been told that because they have an AST it will still be valid but the landlord on the AST is the agent who will not exist at that point.

    Many thanks for any advice

Latest Activity


  • Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
    by hazedunks
    Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
    21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
  • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
    by leaseholder64
    If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
    20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
  • Unilateral Break Clause
    by PadHicks
    Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

    I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

    The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
    20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
  • Reply to Online Letting Agents
    by royw
    I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
    20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
  • Online Letting Agents
    by kathekas
    Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

    What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

    Many thanks
    20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
  • Reply to Advise when buying a property
    by jpkeates
    Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
    You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

    As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
    Ideally your solicitor...
    20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
  • Advise when buying a property
    by alejandrog89

    We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
    20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
  • Reply to Possession of Property advice
    by DPT57
    Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
    20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
  • Possession of Property advice
    by mirfie
    Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
    20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
  • Reply to Advise when buying a property
    by Flashback1966
    Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

    If it is a water pipe leak, it...
    20-11-2019, 17:54 PM