Agent in liquidation - query over tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent in liquidation - query over tenancy

Hi everyone. I’ve several properties which I lease to a lettings agent and they then sub let to the tenants. The tenancy agreement states the agents as the landlord to the tenant. The rent was guaranteed. This company have now gone into administration and will be liquidated in 2 weeks. The tenants are all social tenants and many do not engage with the agency.

Could someone one give me some clarification on where we stand with the tenancy agreements once the company has gone. We have been told that because they have an AST it will still be valid but the landlord on the AST is the agent who will not exist at that point.

Many thanks for any advice

Did you register with companies house as a creditor and object to the dissolution of the company?

From the point of view of the tenants the landlord is their landlord. The company in administration will be owed rent, and you will be a creditor of the company. I am no expert, but generally a company’s contracts remain enforceable upon insolvency.

I think you are in a pretty bad position and you need urgent expert advice and you need to remain in contact with companies house and the liquidators.

Too late for you, BUT NEVER EVER act as landlord via an intermediary (and never ever let to "social tenants" either unless you know exactly what you are doing and how to manage the risks).

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for your reply. We are registered as creditors and are in talks with the council about the tenants. Some tenants have contacted us directly to discuss payments.

We had a number of reasons for using the company which worked well for us for 10 years and we were aware of the social tenants. The guaranteed rent and 10 year leases for properties with them was a selling point!

We were primarily wondering if the tenants would end up squatting in the properties after the insolvency. But that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks agian for the reply.

Comment

I don't think they will be squatting. I think they will still have a valid tenancy. The question is with whom.

Comment

Will the tenancy be vested in the trustee which will be the insolvency practitioner? Once they have discharged their duties, assuming there is little value in the tenancies, they will revert to you. If the tenancies have value, then conceivably they could sell that interest but your first port of call would be to discuss with the trustee what happens, which will be the IP.

Comment

Who is named as LL on Ts AST?
            Get confirmation that you are now resp for LAs Ts living in your properties, with same T&Cs.
            Who protected the Deposit?
            You may have to provide Ts with a new address for 'Service of Notices'.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent increases.
              bobcat
              Hi everyone.
              I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
              21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
            • Reply to Rent increases.
              mariner
              I might wait to see what effect the Budget and Brexit may have on the economy.
              Keep any rent increase to max 5% p.a.
              22-10-2019, 02:50 AM
              MdeB
              work out inflation over the period, and if your increase is less than tha, then put it in the letter for comparison.
              21-10-2019, 22:19 PM
              DPT57
              My view is that you do tenants no favours by charging below market rent as they just develop unrealistic expectations and feel trapped when they realise they cant afford to move but need to. They also see you as a soft touch and that's not a good look for a landlord. I would start to increase each year...
              21-10-2019, 22:01 PM
            • Broken window, who should pay T or L.
              marco1733
              So my friends and I have recently moved into a house, we are students and this is our first year of renting a property. The building itself is quite old and we've already had problems such as broken lights and damp. We also do not have the best relationship with our landlord as we've asked for these...
              21-10-2019, 13:11 PM
            • Reply to Broken window, who should pay T or L.
              MdeB
              At what height was the bottom of this window, "normal" window height or floor height?

If floor height, then I believe it is required to have toughened glass, which is harder to break.
              21-10-2019, 20:45 PM
            • Energy efficiency certificate
              Thehitman2001uk
              I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
              or did the current...
              21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
            • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
              leaseholder64
              I don't think you are even allowed to advertise it for rent without a valid certificate. However, unlike the gas one, you can still provide it late for a section 21 eviction.
              21-10-2019, 20:37 PM
            • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
              Thehitman2001uk
              It was a C. Yes im going to try and get it done asap before the new tenant moves in.
              Also the gas cert was done in jan, so is valid till jan 2020, but will that be needed for a new tenant right away as well?
              21-10-2019, 20:34 PM
              ash72
              My advice would be to seriously think about increasing, my experience is have a tenant paying on time and looks after the property is worth £10 pm increase. The market has now changed for T's therefore with fees now removed they can move more freely without thinking of the additional costs. Also if...
              21-10-2019, 20:23 PM
            Working...
            X