S21 - EPC query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want him to vacate the property and need to serve an S21. My original post was a query about the need for an EPC before service as the original tenant, who was the mother of the current tenant, moved in almost twenty years ago. From the helpful responses it's clear I need to supply a valid EPC and PI before I serve the S21. The tenant already has his copy of the current gas safety certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by mystic08 View Post
      PI
      What do you understand "PI" to be?

Comment

I was under the impression it's a document for the tenant explaining how their deposit is protected so I didn't think it applied in this case as no deposit is held. However jpkeates suggests it's necessary for other information. I don't want to issue an S21 and then have the Council telling me it's not valid because of no PI so I'll provide one.

Comment

How can you provide a deposit PI when there is no deposit? It would be a work of fiction!

Comment

Well that's what I thought until jpkeates suggested it provides other information which it does. Contact details etc which by law the tenant must have.

Comment

Hang on.
              There's no need for Prescribed Information if there's no deposit.

There's something called the Prescribed Requirements, which is other documentation (including the EPC).

There's a good checklist here, which you can use to work back through.
              https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you . I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying the PI should be described as PR.

Comment

See #9 for what I believe you need to serve to satisfy The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Notices and Prescribed Requirements (England) Regulations 2015.

The Housing (Tenancy Deposits) (Prescribed Information) Order 2007 does not apply if you did not receive a deposit.

Comment

EPC needs to be be current and is valid for 10 years from date of Issue.

Comment

Many thanks for your responses. I have up to date EPC's for my other properties. This one has been tenanted by the same family for so many years I didn't think I needed one however I now understand it's been mandatory for older tenancies since October 18.

Comment

I will give the tenant the Right to Rent info anyway but am not sure I actually need to as it became mandatory in October 15 and he's been in situ since 2011.

Comment

You still dont seem to understand that the tenancy started in 2016, not 2011, and it was a different tenancy because the tenants had changed. Incidentally, it's how to Rent, not Right to Rent.

Comment

Aah yes. I meant How to Rent and yes I do need to give him the guide. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mystic08 View Post
                              I don't want to issue an S21 and then have the Council telling me it's not valid because of no PI so I'll provide one.
                              Given your demonstrated inability to understand what is being clearly stated on this thread, I suggest that you get professional help with your S21.

Comment

Thank you for your response. However having owned five properties for almost twenty five years and having issued S21's myself with no difficulty I think I can manage without professional help. This is the only property for which I hold no deposit which generated my query and I misunderstood jpkeates post with regard to PI.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X