Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would you rent to these tenants?

Am I imagining red flags or being petty

We stipulate no children, there is a very genuine reason for this, we are surrounded by a river and a very deep lake. The lake has a fence and a locked gate. But kids could get in.

Also we have sheep and goats in a paddock right by the side of the house, so we want to enforce the no children rule. In my ad I have purposefully included that this is not negotiable.

So, young couple come along, turns out they have 3 children between them. 2 of them live with ex-wife. One of the woman, lives with someone else. Child lives with grandparents and mother visits the child there. Never has her own child in her own home? I feel its to intrusive to ask why this is. So both insist the children will only visit for tea and play together and never stay over. red flag 1?

The chap failed his credit check, but I asked to see 12 months bank statements, which were ok, showing a decent amount of money going in and out, he is self employed, but I asked for a guarantor. He said he didn't need one and didn't want me to ask for one. red flag 2?

The woman passed her affordability credit checks, but on the amount of rental of £470. Wages are £17kpa. The rent is £825. She is the lead tenant, so I am assuming the lead tenant should be able to afford the whole rent. Also asked for a guarantor, said she felt she didn't need one.

surely at some point kids stay over with absent parents EOW, Xmas, school holidays, other parent being poorly

thoughts please?

Originally posted by ShinyTim View Post
    He said he didn't need one and didn't want me to ask for one.
    Did he also say he didn't need to pay the rent and didn't want you to ask for any?

How did they get as far as a viewing?

Comment

I wouldn't.

Do they receive any housing benefit to top up salary? Because on £825 you really want them to be earning at least 22k a year so they're comfortable.

Comment

not a chance

Comment

Bank statements are vital but you are looking for many statements over a long period showing a lot of SAVINGS (I would like to see 5 times the annual rent) - not a lot of cash going in and out.

Why did he fail this credit check? I hate this "Failed the credit check" concept.

There is no such thing as a "lead tenant" for most purposes.

Whatever the case, if you perceive a slightest red flag in your own head, move on. It is better to stay vacant forever, and then sell if necessary than give the keys to anyone uncertain.

Comment

boletus, I suppose in their heads, they don't actually have any children residing with them. They didn't divulge the children until I directly asked. If you don't ask - they don't tell.

Handson, so your saying, the lead tenant should be able to afford the rent on there own, I thought it a bit ingenious to say she could afford the rent @ £470 !

Comment

It's not up to the tenants whether they need a guarantor or not.

Would I rent?
              Not a chance.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

No. More to the point, why would you?

Comment

I hate the idea of guarantors. They don't understand thier own risk, they are blackmailed emotionally into it, and it adds more paperwork.
                  also having been one myself, when my student children could afford their portion of the rent via student loans, I think it's a lazy way to go for all parties.
                  The perfect couple would each be able to afford the rent on thier own, but realism is that people pool their resources and try to rent the most expensive area they can jointly afford.

Add that to the children issue, I'd be looking elsewhere for my tenants.

Comment

No. I'd look for other tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post
                      also having been one myself, when my student children could afford their portion of the rent via student loans, I think it's a lazy way to go for all parties.
                      Guarantees are not really worth much. But the logic of the above is not correct -- people don't need guarantors because the tenant does not have sufficient income. They need them because the tenant has nothing much to lose if they default on a contract (that by the way is a large part of the problem with credit checks leading to pass-fail assessments of the need for a guarantor -- immediate income is not completely relevant).

Comment

Well, I told them last night that it wasn't going to work for us, and she came back with i have made her homeless because she has given her notice in to her present landlord to leave on October 1st.

I told her not to, until they had satisfied all criteria, never mind getting to a T/A - Now I'm the bad guy!

Comment

I wouldn't believe her.
                          It's not long enough for notice.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

That probably tells you all you needed to know. Good decision well made and a response made in more than reasonable time for the prospective tenant to seek alternative accommodation.

Onwards and upwards!

Comment

"Applicant attitude" is always a big red flag, especially before anything has been signed or verbally agreed.
                              If these people are like this before they become tenants, I assure you their attitude and all manner of other undesirable things/behaviour have a high likelihood of occurring with such a person/people. What else have they not told you, I would wonder.
                              Therefore, I would avoid these people.
                              Best to have an empty home than have an ensconced troublesome tenant (who may stop paying - a double whammy).
                              Others will agree with this choice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X