Taking 6 months rent in advance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking 6 months rent in advance?

I've just had a couple who want to move into my property. I think they seem very suitable. However the lady is self employed and has only been doing the business a couple of months. The man has a new permanent full time job but has only been in the job for a few weeks and before this he was out of work for a couple of months.
    Are they likely to fail to referencing? (Before I pay to have it done!)
    They have also said they have a guarantor OR they can even pay 6 months rent in advance all in one go. They are aged 60+ and sold their house abroad and will use that money to pay the rent in their retirement. They are looking to stay for 5 + years so I'm very keen to take them.

Would it be better for them to pay monthly with a guarantor & then I can take out rent guarantee insurance (If this can be taken out against the guarantor if they fail the referencing? Not sure how this works?).
    If I take 6 months rent in one go I guess from month 7 they pay monthly, however I guess I might then not be able to take out Rent Guarantee Insurance if they might still not pass the referencing?

Any opinions greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

if the tenant has bad credit then i suggest you look at JOhnson V Old http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/415.html

Comment

I can't imagine that rent guarantee insurance would be available on either of the bases you have described.

If they have a large lump sum available from which they plan to pay rent which they can prove, given their age, I'd not worry about payment in advance.
      A sixty + year old couple are (usually) the kind of tenants you're looking for.

A guarantor (particularly a family member) would be a nice to have.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by zhorik View Post
        if the tenant has bad credit then i suggest you look at JOhnson V Old http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/415.html
        I waded through all that small print, to see the appeal was dismissed! Just take six months up front, for a six month tenancy, then monthly from then on.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I waded through all that small print, to see the appeal was dismissed! Just take six months up front, for a six month tenancy, then monthly from then on.
          Thanks. I did this once before with a tenant. They paid 6 months rent in advance then when it came to month 7 they had run out of money. If I did this again I worry they would then be in my house on month 7, they won't have passed references and I wont have been able to get rent guarantee insurance. So from month 7 it could be a risk? I'm not sure the best route!

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by henderson78 View Post

Thanks. I did this once before with a tenant. They paid 6 months rent in advance then when it came to month 7 they had run out of money. If I did this again I worry they would then be in my house on month 7, they won't have passed references and I wont have been able to get rent guarantee insurance. So from month 7 it could be a risk? I'm not sure the best route!

Thanks for the replies.
            I forgot to mention, you send a s21 notice after 4 months together with a standing order form. Then if you don't get rent for month 7, you just apply for a possession order.

Comment

It is the usual story. They are low risk if they have cash, but the law turns them into high risk tenants who will have difficulty finding somewhere to stay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X