Deemed Date of Service of a Section 8??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deemed Date of Service of a Section 8??

I hope someone can advise.... I am worried I have wrongly worked out the “earliest date on which court proceedings can be brought”.

i served the Section 8 on Thursday 22 August (yesterday) by putting it through the tenant’s letterbox about 5pm. I put the earliest date on which court proceedings can be brought as 08 September. I thought this was ok, because it would be deemed as being served on 23rd August, and 08 Sept is 16 days after that (14 days plus 2 for contingency). The Certificate of Service form N215 says that if the Method of Service is delivering or leaving it a permitted address after 4:30pm then the Deemed Day of Service is the next business day.

But I have now stumbled across the Civil Procedure Rules, which seem to say if Delivered to or left at the relevant place before 12.00 midnight, it is Deemed Served on the second business day after that day!

Which is correct please? Have I stuffed up my Section 8?

Neither. What does your tenancy agreement say about service of notice for the tenancy?
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thank you KTC.
      It says “The Tenant agrees that any notices given under or in connection with this agreement which are required to be given in writing may be served on the Tenant during the Tenancy either by being left at the Property or by being sent to the Tenant at the Property by first class post. Notices shall be taken to be received the day after being left at the Property or the day after posting.”

So that would give me a deemed day of service of 23rd then?

Comment

Originally posted by hollyblue View Post
        So that would give me a deemed day of service of 23rd then?
        Yes .
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting Agent - Finders fee - New Tenants
          by BeccyP
          Hello,
          New here so please forgive if I'm doing something wrong..

We employed a Letting Agent to find us new tenants for a one off 'Finders Fee'...We shall then manage property ourselves.
          Letting Agent has found us new tenants - I'm due to meet and greet next week and hand over...
          09-08-2020, 00:33 AM
        • Reply to Does employment tribunal case affect credit/reference check
          by ash72
          It will not affect your credit file, but will affect your reference checks when your employer is asked to confirm your employment details, and salary this will then affect you, even if your employer does not provide the correct information your wage slip would either confirm or support your income.
          08-08-2020, 19:17 PM
        • Does employment tribunal case affect credit/reference check
          by Self sufficient
          Hi folks

Perhaps nobody has ever asked that question because majority here perceptibly seems investors/businessmen. The question is that if someone who is relying currently to live in private rented properties whilst having a plan to buy his own home in future but currently fighting in...
          08-08-2020, 15:14 PM
        • Reply to Ccj
          by ChrisDennison
          Funny enough only the defendant receives a copy of the default judgment, the claimant normally doesn't. You can request it from the court though, if it's a claim issued via the CCBC or CCMCC just call them and they will email it to you. If it's a local county court hearing centre call them too and they'll...
          08-08-2020, 18:28 PM
        • Ccj
          by Perce
          Hello

Does anybody know how long it takes to get judgement once you submit a request for judgement ?
          23-07-2020, 21:01 PM
        • Reply to Who Gives a Fig About The Council
          by ChrisDennison
          Maybe therein lies the problem, because different races certainly don't necessarily mean different people....
          08-08-2020, 18:22 PM
        • Who Gives a Fig About The Council
          by landlord-man
          Something which keeps cropping up which I don't for the life of me understand.

Put into words by this recent quote on the Forum

It grieves me to hear again and again and again where tenants with huge arrears are evicted solely with s21, local council not informed of arrears...
          05-08-2020, 14:55 PM
        • Reply to First time landlord making mistakes
          by ChrisDennison
          Well, central heating systems (district or local) don't normally mean tenants have no control over their heating. They will normally still have TRVs on their radiators and a heat meter which tracks usage....
          08-08-2020, 18:18 PM
        • First time landlord making mistakes
          by Bhups
          Hello,

I'm a first time landlord who has make a few BIG mistakes and would like advise on what I can do to help me out.

I've got a double story extension on the side of the property where the garage would normally be (semi-detached home).
          I've converted the side with...
          07-08-2020, 11:06 AM
        • Reply to Ccj
          by Perce
          The eviction company sent me just the Notice of Judgement Entered but should not they also send me the Judgement for Claimant and Defendant stating how much the tenant owes me ? I understand HCEO will need this piece of paper....
          08-08-2020, 18:15 PM
        Working...
        X