Periodic tenancy and council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Periodic tenancy and council tax

Our agency frequently sends invitations to our tenants to renew (at a cost) despite us asking them not to, we have a tenant finding service only. recently they have told us that if a tenancy is periodic, that a council can come after us for council tax if the tenant defaults. I cannot find any verification for this. It is also very unsettling for our tenants

Didn't I already answer this question?

Oh right, here it is.

Send a clearly and strongly worded letter to the agent to stop, then complain to the letting agent's redress scheme.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

The tenant fees act means that the agent can no longer charge for renewals.

They are talking nonsense about the periodic council tax.
      What does happen from time to time is that a tenant moves out and tells the council so that council tax reverts back to the landlord and the date is before the end of a period (or the tenant shaves a few days off).
      But that's just part of being a landlord.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X