Is addendum that defines the tenancy renewal/extension covered by new Tenant Fee Act?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is addendum that defines the tenancy renewal/extension covered by new Tenant Fee Act?

Hello good people. I have a question regarding the liability in accordance with the new tenant fee act. My tenancy agreement is expiring next week, and I want to extend the tenancy for another two years. The agency sent me the addendum that defines the extension of the tenancy. It states that all other terms and conditions are in accordance with the previous contract signed in 2017. However some terms in the contract from 2017 are in clash with the new tenant fee act.

My questions is am I still liable to pay the fees set up in the old contract (check out fees, professional cleaning at the end of tenancy) if I signed the addendum? Is addendum seen as the renewal and does it need to comply with the new tenant fee act? Would I need to pay check out fees and the professional cleaning in 2021 if I sign the addendum today?

Thank you so much for your help!

It would be a new tenancy so come under the Tenant Fees Act. Even if it's not a new tenancy, existing tenancy would come under it by two years time anyway.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Presumably the landlord will/should take the changes into account and modulate the rate of rent and contract accordingly.
      There is really no such thing as a tenancy "extension" - it is a new contract, albeit referring to an older one to derive its terms except where stated (such as the rate of rent).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X