Agent holding rent paid in advance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent holding rent paid in advance

Not a big issue but before I talk with my agent further Id just like to get some feedback if possible from the collective here. For reasons not worth going into, my new tenant is going to pay for 12 months rent up front. I asked my agent if there was a choice as to whether they or I could hold this balance and they didn't answer directly but said it was best if they hold it. At then end of the day if they do it's no big deal but I just wondered that if I insisted I wanted to hold it then would I have any wood to stand on so to speak?

Many thanks

Why on earth would you let the agent hold it? Let them deduct whatever % of management fee from it, and pay it over immediately.

If your agent fold in that 12 months, your tenant isn't going to be paying you rent again as they've already paid it.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Of course you hold it. It is your money and the agent is not an escrow service. If they go bankrupt you are down the creek.

Comment

Agree with the above. From experience I find it prudent to consider what would happen if a company becomes insolvent.

Bear in mind though that if all rent has been paid to you (and assuming that the agent is managing the property for the forseeable) there will be nothing to deduct expenses from. Either you will need to settle any bills yourself, or reimburse agent for them, or you could leave a small balance with them for this purpose.
        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

If the tenant is going to pay 12 months up front you need to be careful how the tenancy agreement is worded to avoid (a) a yearly tenancy arising when the fixed term ends (b) any money paid being deemed to be a despoit which needs protecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            to avoid (a) a yearly tenancy arising when the fixed term ends
            Are there any negative consequences for a LL of having a spt with a period of a year?

There used to be before it was ruled that S21(1) can be used to end a spt at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

Are there any negative consequences for a LL of having a spt with a period of a year?

There used to be before it was ruled that S21(1) can be used to end a spt at any time.
              I confess that decision puzzled me. The downside is that the tenancy may cease to be an assured tenancy (and therefore an assured shorthold tenancy) for example if the property ceases to be the tenant's main residence. If the tenancy is not an AST obviously section 21 cannot be used and you have to give notice to quit. Absent any agreement to the contrary, a yearly tenancy can only be terminated on an anniversary of its start date and by giving not less than half a year's notice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Objection to letting a garage
                steve-123
                I own a flat in a block that I rent out to a doctor.

I've been renting the flat's garage separately for the past two years to a builder who uses it to store work tools and equipment.

Another lease holder in the building has complained about this and is asking that the garage...
                16-09-2019, 20:26 PM
              • Problems with a Management Agency
                BlueMystery
                My son took a 6 month AST out in October 2018.

In March 2019, the management agency advised if he wanted to stay in the property he needed an extension to the agreement, and charged him £90 for the priviledge - although they gave him nothing in the form of new paperwork. He simply signed...
                11-09-2019, 13:32 PM
              • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
                leaseholder64
                It's not illegal, or at least not based on recent legislation. There is a transition period in which exit charges still apply, if agreement was made before June.

There are cases where charges may be made because of exceptional arrangements, even when the new law is fully applied.
                16-09-2019, 20:23 PM
              • licensee vs tenant
                imjustbait
                i have been given 14 days notice -

i asked my friend for help and to sort things out if possible, as he works in lettings etc -

he said to be this is a licensee contract not an (AST) one - (i didnt know)

basically, i want to know what rights i have to...
                07-02-2019, 20:58 PM
              • Reply to licensee vs tenant
                imjustbait
                before this letter, I received a letter of order from the courts saying:

it is hereby heard in court that:

the licence agreement is in a different name to the claimant (or something like that)

im assuming it has something to do with the licence agreement and it...
                16-09-2019, 20:09 PM
              • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
                BlueMystery
                As an update ** I would appreciate comments on the legality of the following statement received by my son in an email from the Agents today ***

They have listed the fees they want to levy on him from his deposit and have cited the following statement

"£50 + vat for XYZ...
                16-09-2019, 20:08 PM
                KTC

How on earth did the landlord's claim get struck out when you didn't bother to turn up?

16-09-2019, 20:05 PM
                imjustbait
                I have received general form of order from the courts.

The update was, upon hearing the council for the claimant, and upon mr joe bloggs not attending....

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1) CLAIM IS STRUCK OUT

What does that ACTUALLY mean? who came...
                16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
              • Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
                alenuk
                Wondering if someone can help me here.
                I live in Council Estate. Having a mortgage and been living here since 2002
                Earlier this year gang of thieves entered Storage Room (doors are secured with number lock) and broken into my storage and tools worth approximately £ 2000 were taken.
                email to council
                16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
              • Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                cancan
                Hi everyone,

I currently have a TDS adjudication with my ex-tenants ongoing. The tenants' deposit is 4300. The damages i am trying to claim in total is 7000. Even if i do get awarded the full deposit, i'm still short 2700. Im wondering if Small Claims via Money Claim Online (MCOL) is available...
                16-09-2019, 19:24 PM
              Working...
              X