Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers

Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger will admit to causing the damage.

I know that one of them left wet / damp clothes on the worktop for 2-3 days in the utility room - this was after lodger 2 moved out - and it it completely ruined. I think Lodger 2 should be solely responsible for the cost of repairing the utility room worktops.

How would you deal with the initial worktop damage?

Also Lodger 2 put nails in my bedroom wall - how do you determine the cost for fixing?

- If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious property with textured wallpaper you may need to re-paper the wall. If it is a lousy property then £5 to cover polyfiller and damage that will inevitably remain after the filler.

Comment

I put a clause in one of my tenancies that each nail in the wall would be 50p to repair. This is because when I went to see the tenant at her previous property there were pictures all over the walls. She put 150 nail holes in my walls and 3 of them were 4" nails .

Comment

Wooden worktops are not suitable for rental properties. This was always going to happen.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't spot that this is your home. However, my comment still largely stands.

Comment

I have regularly repaired damage to wooden kitchen worktops by sanding down and re treating. Labour intensive but cheap.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X