Taking on lodger on a second home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking on lodger on a second home

I have friend who inherited the family home in Wales. It is a small compact two bedroom home, in a rural area.

He is paying £3,000 in council tax, as it is treated a second home.

He still goes to Wales, for many weekends. He is working part-time and does not have a high income.

Could taking on a lodger, revert the council tax to back to normal? I believe there is a registration scheme for landlords, would this apply? The home in Wales, is not his main home, his main home is in England.

Anyone staying in the property in Wales wouldn't be a lodger, because the landlord doesn't live in the property.
    A person can only have one home, which is their main residence.

The property in Wales is a second property, so it sounds like it's being taxed correctly (if harshly).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Interesting. Is this a Welsh thing ? the council tax i mean.

In england :

We are buying a 2nd house to live in 5 nights a week.
      My wife will stay in it 3 nights a week.

Our other house - I will stay 2 nights a week, and my wife will live in it 4 nights a week.
      I figure that if we weren't married we could claim the single person discount on both.

Comment

No it is not a 'Welsh thing'!

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post
          Interesting. Is this a Welsh thing ? the council tax i mean.
          I think so - it seems to be empowered by the Housing (Wales) Act 2014, and I can't see anything similar in England or Scotland.

Comment

The Welsh have always had a 'thing' about rich English people buying properties for 2nd (holiday) homes, pushing up prices and leaving nowhere for the locals to live.

In the 1980's and 90's some of them even used to burn such holiday homes down - a kind of Welsh ethnic cleansing.
            https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifest...1980---7932570

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
              No it is not a 'Welsh thing'!
              You sure ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post
                I think so - it seems to be empowered by the Housing (Wales) Act 2014, and I can't see anything similar in England or Scotland.
                One of you is right.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X