Roof window problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof window problem

My current tenants moved in at the end of May. I obviously did the inventory when they moved in and it was all in order. Whatever was not had been noted.

In June one of the tenants said the roof window in one of the bedrooms was broken.

It is an old window and we wanted to replace it anyway, especially as it's not Velux and they are old.

However, they were not broken when we did the last inspection before they moved in.

Today I went there to inspect it and the window is much worse than what it was, now it doesn't close at all and the fitted blind (nearly new) is completely borken.

None of these things were like that when they moved in.

My queston is, is this something they are liable for or would it be considered wear and tear?

I don't want to get in a fight with the tenants for no reason, I knew the window was old and I wanted to replace it, but it was certainly not broken nor was the blind.

I was very surprised, it seems to be more than simple wear and tear...

Something being broken is not fair wear and tear.
    Without seeing the window it's hard to imagine whether or not it could be broken by accident or if it would have to be deliberate.

If you do want to recharge the tenant, don't forget to adjust the claim for the age of the window, because it sounds like you've had a lot of use already.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The window is old, it was already there when we bought the flat in 2011.

However, it was not broken! We did some repairs before the tenants moved in and found no issues with the window.

As for the blind, it is around 2 years old, it is certainly not old, I was shocked that the state of it...

Funnily enough, I have a video that the tenant sent showing the problem with the window. In that video the clind is perfect, not broken like it was today, so clear evidence that they've done it.

Comment

Could the blind damage be caused by wind coming through the broken window?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Nope, no chance. It's 100% mishandling because it is a fitted made to measure blind that actually is fitted to the glass. It's not a roller blind or anything.

Comment

Replace the faulty window and charge the T for broken blind (50% of original cost)?

Comment

Breakage doesn't mean it wasn't fair wear and tear.

Structural materials are prone to fatigue failures. Plastics can become brittle as the result of plasticisers evaporating or UV damage. One would need to know the exact failure mode to establish fault.

Also, the expression is wear and tear, and the tear part implies that some level of minor damage is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by onecuriousll View Post
                I knew the window was old and I wanted to replace it,
                So simply replace it as you were intending to do anyway.

If the (already needed by yout own admission) replacement were then to get broken then that would be a different issue.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X