Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referencing for overseas applicants

Hi

I’ve received an application following advertising on Openrent for an AST from two applicants who landed in the country yesterday. Proof of employment, with salary, has been provided and is satisfactory. Applicants are New Zealand and Irish citizens and have spent the past 5 years in NZ. I’m assuming that a UK credit check won’t flag any history in NZ. Given that a) they previously owned a house in NZ b) I have a letter offering employment (and it checks out) and c) if they default the cost of recovering monies from someone who will be out of the country (her sabbatical finishes in 18 months) will outweigh the loss - is there any point in referencing at all?

Most of my tenants are not UK based and I hardly ever carry out standard paid-for checks. That is not to say you should not do your usual homework (rigorous proofs of identity, jobs, tenancy questionnaire, original bank statements). Charge a slightly higher rate of rent.

Comment

Tenant verify advertise on landlordzone and carry out international referencing checks, including NZ;

https://www.tenantverify.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
        Tenant verify advertise on landlordzone and carry out international referencing checks, including NZ;

Interesting - I didn't know about that. I'm not 100% sure I trust the veracity of credit checks locally however, never-mind in Bangladesh.
        The question is, is there any comeback on these credit checking agencies -- is there any general and successful mechanism for suing them or getting compensation for missing say a criminal record? A lot of it is pointless - a decent tenant will give a genuine landlord to give a genuine landlord to give a genuine report. A bad tenant will not -- and I cannot see how these agencies are going to be any better than myself in figuring our whether a Bulgarian landlord or employer is genuine.

Comment

The checks carry more weight in some countries than others. I'd rate a NZ check similar to one carried out in England.
          I use them in addition to my own checks.

Comment

Thanks Andrew and Boletus

I think I’d agree with Andrew’s approach. My p.o.v is that even if they have good credit score in nz their nz score would not be affected by poor behaviour in the uk so there’s little threat. I guess I could establish that they’re not regular defaulters though. Unlikely, they’re senior doctors.

i will have a look around tenantverify though - for the sake of £30 or so...

Edit: Just looked at tenantverify - it’s £50 per tenant for ‘referencing’ which, for me in reality, is just a credit check m9re than I can do myself. Think i’m ‘Out’ tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryMorley View Post
              My p.o.v is that even if they have good credit score in nz their nz score would not be affected by poor behaviour in the uk so there’s little threat.
              The UK has a reciprocal arrangement with NZ for the enforcement of judgements.
              Checking them in their own countries lets them know you know your stuff and helps lay down the ground rules.
              With 2 doctors I'd definitely pursue them if it came to it.
              It would cost me £60 to reference them both which I'd be adding to the rent anyway.

I once let a property to a visiting surgeon from a notorious country in the early days. Lived like a pig, skipped the last month's rent and left the property in a right state. You can never be too sure but I don't think it would happen to me nowadays.

Comment

I once let a property to a visiting surgeon from a notorious country in the early days. Lived like a pig, skipped the last month's rent and left the property in a right state. You can never be too sure but I don't think it would happen to me nowadays.
                Ditto here. The worst tenant I ever had by a very long stretch had was a neurosurgeon wife and engineer husband from a notorious country. They lived as if they owned the place. Drilled 2 inch wide holes in every wall for ethernet cabling, fitted massive satellite dishes, painted walls strange colors and when they departed I had to get a couple of skips to get rid of the rubbish. Cost at least 10K to partially fix things up, and a decade later many aspects have still not been restored.

I have learned which countries tend to send along respectful tenants, and I am afraid that I take that into account.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

Cost at least 10K to partially fix things up
                  Thanks for that Andrew. Cheered me up! My lesson only cost me £3K.
                  No longer blinded by the glitzy jobs.
                  I had a celebrity earning a lot of money who was quite surprised when I insisted on a guarantor.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                    I have learned which countries tend to send along respectful tenants, and I am afraid that I take that into account.
                    Which is illegal, except, to a limited extent, for live in landlords

Comment

You should have seen the state four UK nurses left my friends house in. I thought they were good on hygiene - I was mistaken.

I don't think a lot of landlords would have touched my current tenant but nearly three years on the rent has been paid on time every month. The agency has done regular checks and said the place is untidy (three children) but clean.

As they say you can't judge a book by its cover.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

Which is illegal, except, to a limited extent, for live in landlords
                        I believe our local court has a machine for detecting illegal thoughts. Once detected a Tom Cruise type judge will terminate the individual immediately. Welcome to the society of the jackboot and gestapo.

Comment

I might give this a try as I had a guy from Romania look at my property last night and he said he'll probably fail a credit check as he has been in back home for 6 months and only just come back to the UK. He says he can show me bank statements for the last 3 months and his accounts he sent to HMRC last year and the year before as he is self employed along with his current landlady reference. Is there anything else I could check? Not that he knew this but I searched him on facebook and Instagram but he didn't have a lot on there but his girlfriend seems to have a really good job in Romania and seems to know famous people in that country. Not sure if that is a good omen or not

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X