Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant moving in new partner

Hi,

Hoping someone can advise please as I've always rented to couples over last few years. Now my single tenant (of two years) i've just been told has got married and moving her partner in, who I've never met. I don't have a problem with this but just wondered what I need to do. He is Indian and currently in India I think. But he did get two degrees in this country and has so lived here over 5 years and has a permanent residency card (BRC?). So all I think I need to do is take a photo of his BRC to prove I've made sure he has the right to reside in this country. My tenant is Lithuanian and so can stay here as long as she wants. I guess she may change her name and therefore her passport. Do I need to do anything else? My tenant has said she is happy to be the sole name on the tenancy agreement still, and to be responsible to pay the rent. Should I be doing background checks on him, or is the fact he's got a BRC enough? He wouldn't have a job or landlord reference available anyway. He will be looking for a job in this town when he's moved here. I don't know when he is officially moving in but guess it will be fairly soon like a few weeks. I said if she can let know as soon as she has his BRC card for me to take a photo. Am I legally responsible to let the Council know he should be on the Council tax?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks (in advance)

Ann

Sounds fishy to me. Wait until they let him back into the UK before doing anything.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Hi

Having just spoken to my estate agent about the above, they think I do need to get them both put on the TA. That I can charge the tenant £50 and I pay the rest for renewing the contract. I didn't think we were allowed to charge tenants any money. My estate's given reason is that if they split up and he stayed he is not on the contract.

Also it is a bit strange how my tenant just surprised me with this. I didn't even know she had a boyfriend. Doing some background checks on social media there is nothing to indicate their marriage and his profile is with another woman, Indian, who he looks like he's been with a long time. But the photo wasn't that recent. Its all a bit strange to me. I hope its not a case of her helping a friend live in this country and he'll be moving in his other wife also. She has just put another double bed in the other room, saying its for guests.

Would you draw up another contract with both their names on? And ask to see the marriage certificate? Or is that too risky in case it didn't work out I'm better off leaving just her name on it as a periodic monthly tenancy. Its such a pain to draw up a new contract and change deposit and issue PI etc.

Ann

Comment

One is allowed to charge up to £50 if the tenant wants the contract changing.

Comment

Unless your insurance or mortgage require all occupants to be on a tenancy agreement, I'd keep the tenancy with the woman only.

If they split up and she moves out, leaving him, you'd have a problem, but it's no different if they're joint tenants and she moves out (unless the tenancy is in a fixed term).

If you do agree to a joint tenancy, make sure it's for six months and then always renewed with a new fixed term.
          If the tenant doesn't agree to that, be even more suspicious.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I will leave just her on the TA. I do regular visits and if I suspect something is not right, then I can give her 2 months notice to leave. Whereas if both their names are on it then if she moves out and he doesn't manage to find a job then i'm stuck with him not paying rent. I could always give it a few months and if he gets a job and all seems well, then create a new 6 month TA.

I just rang citizens advice and they agree with me.

Thank you

Ann

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X