Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property condition and my rights as a tenant

Hi all,
    On the 26th July 2019 my wife and I moved in to our new property in Cardiff, Wales. We found the property on OpenRent and agreed on a moving in date with the landlady after viewing the property.

The viewing:
    The viewing took place with the landlady's brother as the landlady wasn't able to attend. On viewing it was clear the property needed some work doing but we felt reassured by the brother that work would be completed and the house would be in good shape. We liked the area and agreed on a moving in date 5 weeks later so work could be completed.

The next 5 weeks:
    During the next 5 weeks we received various updates, photos and videos from the landlady showing us how the property was developing. The garden was being cleared, the house was being painted/decorated. The images and videos all looked very nice - clean white paint and chippings in the garden to keep it low maintenance.

Collecting the keys:
    On the 26th July we went to collect the keys. We were told that the property was being professionally cleaned that morning so we would have to collect the keys in the afternoon. When we arrived and walked in to the property we immediately noticed the work was done to a poor standard. Sure, the walls had been painted but there were paint marks on the doors, floor, fittings and fixtures etc, the carpet in the hallway was scagged and had paint on it and the light fittings were old and dusty. We were then showed upstairs where we were told the shower had been 'capped' because it was leaking (you could see where it had been leaking) so we would have to use the shower downstairs. Now, the shower downstairs is in what can be described as a 'wet room' which you have to straddle a toilet to use the shower - and the wet room doesn't have a wet room floor so it leaks everywhere. We held our emotions in long enough to demand another solution be found.

After the landlady left we had a proper look over the property and found a number of other faults, including a 'dumping area' at the end of the garden where all cuttings and an old dismantled greenhouse was dumped so we contacted the landlady asking for these items to be addressed. She arranged for a 'Handy Andy' to come and take a look.

27th July:
    Handy Andy arrived and we showed him around the property where he took note of 14 items he would ask the landlady to agree to repair. After Andy left I messaged the landlady saying that whilst that list was addressing the most obvious, I wanted to make it clear this was not a final list because we were already noticing other faults as we were moving it.

The landlady had a meltdown, cancelled Handy Andy and refused to deal with us - passing all responsibility over to her brother. He brother contacted us and agreed to visit us on the 29th July to discuss what needed doing.

29th July:
    New landlord arrived and we agreed on a number of items to be repaired the following week (Andy also arrived that day, which was a surprise to Steve). Some work was carried out and Steve also came another day the following week to clear some of the garden.

The ongoing saga:
    Since then we've made a list of 81 items which we were not happy with when moving in. Some have been addressed, some have been agreed to address and some are new items we have found over the past couple of weeks. The shower has been reconnected but the solution is... a large shower curtain which still leaks. The bath is rusty and there is no way my wife and I will straddle a toilet to have a shower. Half the garden is looking better and some of the odd jobs have been complete. However there is still a lot that needs addressing so we're wondering where we stand. We can't afford to move out (landlady gave us this option during her meltdown) but we hate living there. We're paying top end rental for the property/area we live and were expecting a high end finish. We were told that the landlady will sell after us and have a feeling this is why she's not completed the work to a high standard.

Is there anything we can do? Or are we stuck in a property we don't like? Any advice would be greatly received.

If you're paying top end rent, I'd take the landlady's offer and move out.

You viewed the property and the condition it was in plus the specifics you agreed with the brother is what you've agreed to rent.
    You and the landlord are never going to agree on what's acceptable or not.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As above. You sound like you need your own home, and not many would be happy to have you rent their properties. Most of the stuff you mention is trivia, and from the sounds of things it is better than when viewed.

I suggest you take the offer to leave and find somewhere more to your liking.

You could I suppose offer to double your rent payable in exchange for a hotel like service.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
        As above. You sound like you need your own home, and not many would be happy to have you rent their properties. Most of the stuff you mention is trivia, and from the sounds of things it is better than when viewed.

I suggest you take the offer to leave and find somewhere more to your liking.

You could I suppose offer to double your rent payable in exchange for a hotel like service.
        It may seem trivial but surely there has to be some care when decorating a property? I don't believe we're asking for too much at all, especially when considering the price we are paying. Is it too much to ask for a property with a shower which doesn't hang over a working toilet?

Moving isn't a solution as we're going to be out of pocket and we don't really have the time either as my wife is studying for her masters degree whilst working full time.

Also, I'm not sure what you're getting at with the hotel comment. We're certainly not expecting a hotel like service - but shouldn't a property be clean? If you're a landlord and I left the property in the condition it was in when we moved in, i'm sure you'd have something to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          If you're paying top end rent, I'd take the landlady's offer and move out.

You viewed the property and the condition it was in plus the specifics you agreed with the brother is what you've agreed to rent.
          You and the landlord are never going to agree on what's acceptable or not.
          This is the problem. The property isn't in a condition that was agreed. Nowhere near.

Comment

How much of this did you note on the inventory? How soon after the inventory did you submit revisions to the inventory?

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              How much of this did you note on the inventory? How soon after the inventory did you submit revisions to the inventory?
              The obvious stuff was noted on our moving date, 26th July - more noted on 27th & 29th. The inventory was completed on 03 Aug and has probably 98% of the issues and then the final 2% were brought up today. I guess it's possible things will appear during the autumn and winter but we'll see how that works out then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmisavage View Post
                This is the problem. The property isn't in a condition that was agreed. Nowhere near.
                So leave.
                Or put up with it.

Binary choices do make things simple.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is a good chance your landlady won't be renewing your tenancy. Better to leave on your own terms, especially as you hate living there.

A list of 81 items sounds like you have unrealistic expectations.

In future, only take on a property that is 100% finished to your approval.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                    There is a good chance your landlady won't be renewing your tenancy. Better to leave on your own terms, especially as you hate living there.

A list of 81 items sounds like you have unrealistic expectations.

In future, only take on a property that is 100% finished to your approval.
                    I wish it was that easy. I don't know how things work in other parts of the country but here it seems most properties are listed while the old tenant is still in the property so you will never see a property that is 'ready'. You have to take the landlords word on what will and won't be done.

From the replies i'm receiving it appears that landlords really don't seem to care about their property or their tenants. This is certainly a problem.

We are a professional couple and take care of the property we rent. Sure, we expect a certain standard but we also pay top rent for that. Unfortunately we've been let down this time.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                      So leave.
                      Or put up with it.

Binary choices do make things simple.
                      Once again, we don't want to leave and surely we shouldn't have to 'put up with it' when we were told the property would be finished to a certain standard - and we pay rent to reflect that.

Comment

It doesn't sound like you are paying top rent. You may think it is a lot but in a heated market you're paying average Ford money and expecting a Rolls Royce concierge service.
                        Writing a list of 81 minor items you're not happy with would sound...odd, to most reasonable people. It is also self defeating as it won't be taken seriously and any future perfectly reasonable requests will be automatically dismissed.

Comment

I feel sad for this landlady. It sounds as if she is trying so hard, only to be faced with a barrage of criticism. Poor woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmisavage View Post
                            Once again, we don't want to leave and surely we shouldn't have to 'put up with it' when we were told the property would be finished to a certain standard - and we pay rent to reflect that.
                            I'd move on, but you don't have to.

Fair enough.
                            Carry on living somewhere you don't want to.

Comment

Another T with unrealistic expectations.
                              OP, you have/had 7 days to check, amend, return the Inventory from move in day.
                              Start planning now for your Eviction.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X