Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Goods

New to this forum so Hi All!

I have a question, I own a 1 bed property and have always included a washing machine and fridge/ freezer with a clause saying I am not liable for repair or replacement.

I am just about to market the property again but have been told by my agent since the new tenant rules came in on the 1st June that you can no longer include a no repair clause.

Is this the case? I cant find any information.

Thanks

Ask them why they think that that's the case.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You are not charging a fee, you are just stating that you are not liable for repairing/replacing something that isn't a landlords statutory repair responsibility.

The government How to Rent guide claims it is the landlords responsibility to maintain appliances they have provided but that is just a guide (with errors) and has not been tested in court.

Comment

Whatever the legal position is, it seems an odd approach to customer service to not offer to repair.

Our approach is to only buy quality washing machines and cookers, such as Bosch, which often come with 5 year part and labour included. It is worth the extra cost of these machines as they rarely break down anyway, Of course, if a tenant already has their own washing machine or fridge freezer, then all the better - and we might be able to cut the rent a tad for them.

Comment

Originally posted by lrowner View Post
          New to this forum so Hi All!

I have a question, I own a 1 bed property and have always included a washing machine and fridge/ freezer with a clause saying I am not liable for repair or replacement.

So at the start of each tenancy do you provide new appliances? What happens to the old ones?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I just maintain the white goods.
            The market I'm in isn't exactly top end, but people expect at least a fridge and washing machine (competitors provide them) and I'd have to buy new ones to relet the place if something breaks - so it's really just a matter of timing.

And it keeps the customer happy.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have provided fridge and washing machine on the basis of "I will not repair/replace if it breaks" when previous tenant has left the goods.
              If new T does not want that approach, then I will take them to the tip.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X