X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed with landlord

Help needed with landlord suspected not legal

10-08-2019, 19:19 PM
    Hi All! I am new here and this is the first time I am in such weird situation.
    i am a lodger and my leave in landlady decided to give me one month notice (out of the blue) starting from the 4th of August. The rent is paid from 28th till the 28th of the next month.
    I can vacant the room “before” the 4th (on the 28th indeed) bus she said that it is my choice, and I still have to pay the rent till the 4th because she gave the one month notice!!. How could be possible? She said she will deduct anyway the money from my deposit so I have no choices.
    in addition there is nothing “written”! No agreement, no contract.
    What can i do? I don’t want her to keep my money! I don’t think it is fair! It was her decision to ask me to leave and I have no problem with that...but why she didn’t ask me then to leave on the 28th and waited the 4th? How weird is this? Please help me!!!

I'm not sure why you think it unfair, assuming that she reduces the rent for 28th August to 4th September. Whilst it would have been nice for her to have allowed you to give three weeks notice, she's not requiring you to give more notice than she has to give and normally the issue with landlord notice is too little, rather than too much.

Comment

Thank you! I think I didn’t express my self correctly and I apologize for this! English is not my mother tongue
      The rent is paid from 28th of July till 28th of August.
      on the 4th of August the landlady gave me one month notice asking me to leave on the 4th of September.
      I am happy to leave on the 28th that is until the rent is paid.
      She said that is up to me and, no matter what, she will keep the money out of my deposit from the 28th until the 4th even if I will leave, cause the notice period is one month.
      In addition I am concerned cause there is no written agreement.
      it is my first time ever (and last) renting a room in a sharing apartment and I am a bit lost cause I thought it is more than fair to vacant this room until the rent is paid!!
      I hope I have been clear enough 😰 thank you anyway for the time

Comment

I would ask her however, where it says that the notice period you need to give has to be one month, and not (say) three months or one week. You would like to give notice of 1 week -- and what does she say to that. It does seem somewhat unfair to me if you really do wish to leave earlier than one month...

As above, one month of notice is fairly long for a lodger -- and so long as it is calculated on a daily basis (and calculated correctly) then that is fine if you do stay that long. Because you pay monthly, a month of notice would be sort-of standard especially as you have no contract that says otherwise. Unlike AST tenancies there is no real rule to say that the lodger-ship has to work only in whole months.

It's a grey area...

Comment

If this had been an AST with a monthly SPT, you would have had to pay rent up to 28th September.

Comment

We both agreed verbally on one month notice period.
            The point is only that I would like to leave until the rent is paid cause physically I won’t be in the UK, and I honestly don’t wish to pay for a rent I am not benefit from.
            She is very firm and won’t step back. She has my money and she will deduct this one week rent from the deposit.
            I think as well it is a grey area... maybe she could have been just a bit “nicer” and put an end to this rent on the last day paid and that’s it!
            And I also thought it was necessary to have a written agreement, contract or whatsoever...
            very sad all this!!!

Comment

What is means AST and SPT?
              sorry!!! 😓

Comment

Originally posted by Paolagostini7 View Post
                What is means AST and SPT?
                These are to do with tenancies where you have sole possession of the property (landlady does not live there).
                They do not apply to lodgers.

Comment

It was basically saying you are in a better position than a full tenant would have been.

Comment

Why do you think you think you are a Lodger?
                    Do you live with your LL?

Comment

Yes I do.
                      And she also said that there wasn’t need to register me and that’s why there is no contract.
                      Anyway...I want to leave before the 4th...why I have to pay?

Comment

We both agreed verbally on one month notice period.
                        ...I want to leave before the 4th...why I have to pay?
                        You have agreed to the one months notice to leave on the 4th Septmber, and so that is when you are supposed to leave, and when your are liable to pay rent until.

If you want to leave earlier then that is your choice, but you are still liable to pay rent until the 4th September as you agreed.

The fact that you have already paid rent up to the 28th August makes no difference whatsoever.
                        You have agreed to one month from the 4th August and so you are liable to pay rent for the whole of that month.

If you wanted to leave earlier then you should have not agreed to the 1 month notice, and should have negotiated a shorter notice period instead.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                          Why do you think you think you are a Lodger?
                          Do you live with your LL?
                          This was stated in the original posting!

Comment

The bottom line is that you admit you mutually agreed to a 1 month notice period, so you need to stick with that. You wouldn't like it if she kicked you out with a week of notice (which she is entitled to do if you ignore that agreement) so it cuts both ways.

Comment

OK, thank you so much!!
                              Do you also know if she had to provide a written agreement?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Access to sheds
                                by DPT57
                                Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
                                03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
                              • Access to sheds
                                by endymion
                                Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
                                03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
                              • Reply to My tenant lied to me
                                by Uklondoner
                                Thanks so much !...
                                03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
                              • My tenant lied to me
                                by Uklondoner
                                My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
                                03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
                                by AndrewDod
                                Then you need to go the route I said. Unless there is a lease which specifically defines the demise of Flat X that includes the shed(s) there is no reason at all to explicitly exclude anything....
                                03-06-2020, 16:17 PM
                              • Reply to My tenant lied to me
                                by nukecad
                                As it's UC then as a landlord you need to submit a form UC47 to apply to the DWP for a 'Managed Payments to Landlord', which can include an amount for arrears.
                                However any repayment of arrears granted will be on a 'pay back at so much a month' basis.

UC47's can now be submitted online....
                                03-06-2020, 15:51 PM
                                by endymion
                                Well, partly, but mainly I'm considering whether the sheds would have to be explicitly excluded from the tenancy in the AST. It's a question of what would be considered the default position in law....
                                03-06-2020, 14:53 PM
                                by endymion
                                Interesting. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Nonetheless, if the deeds stipulate that the sheds are part of the flat, rather than communal, surely that's quite a different matter....
                                03-06-2020, 14:52 PM
                                by MdeB
                                I believe the OP is coming from the position of:
                                • The LL has granted us the right, beyond the tenancy agreement, to use two sheds.
                                • Would the law consider that having granted that use, the LL cannot unilaterally withdraw the use of those sheds?
                                03-06-2020, 14:48 PM
                              • Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                                by MdeB
                                The Government guidance suggests not (under "What will the report show?").
                                C1, C2 and F need action; C3 does not (C3 is "safe but not to current standards for new installations"...
                                03-06-2020, 14:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X