Reasonable time for letting agent to confirm vacation of property?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasonable time for letting agent to confirm vacation of property?

Hi,

When letting through an agent, what's the typical time frame for the landlord to get a confirmation of vacation, inventory report, meter readings, etc.

Our tenants left the property a week ago and we haven't heard anything back from the agents. Not even a confirmation.

Would a landlord normally have to request meter readings or should they be given as standard?

Recent communications with this company have been patchy so I'm trying to find out if this is common or not.

Any advice appreciated.

You have to manage your agent - particularly at a point where their incentives and yours differ.

At the end of a tenancy, there's work for the agent and the revenue has usually stopped.
    Their new tenancy income has probably dropped significantly.

A week seems on the long side of OK.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      You have to manage your agent - particularly at a point where their incentives and yours differ.
      Indeed, although a forward looking company would be thinking about their next revenue stream.

A week seems on the long side of OK.
      Yep, that was my gut feeling. I would have expected 2 to 3 business days.

I asked for the electric, gas and water readings and only received one of the three, with no mention as to why the others weren't included. After a while it starts to paint a picture.

Comment

LA should note all meter readings taken on dated move out inspection report, if that is part of their service offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten View Post
          Indeed, although a forward looking company would be thinking about their next revenue stream.
          You have to consider how small a single property owning landlord's contribution to their revenue stream is.

You're likely to be "worth" a few hundred pounds per annum, against, for example, the several thousands of pounds an estate agent gets for selling a property.
          More relevantly, the personal incentives for the people who work in estate and letting agents are rarely focussed on maintenance or check out issues, they're all about sales and new customers.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

Originally posted by mariner View Post
            LA should note all meter readings taken on dated move out inspection report, if that is part of their service offered.
            It's a full managed service, but there's not a defined list of their obligations during handover.

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            You have to consider how small a single property owning landlord's contribution to their revenue stream is.

You're likely to be "worth" a few hundred pounds per annum, against, for example, the several thousands of pounds an estate agent gets for selling a property.
            More relevantly, the personal incentives for the people who work in estate and letting agents are rarely focussed on maintenance or check out issues, they're all about sales and new customers.
            They're taking 10% + other fees, so on a normal year that would be about £1,200. Tenants have been there 5 years, so that's around £6,000. Each year they organise gas/safety, annual property visit and maybe one or two other small issues that crop up (few emails/phone calls max).

Of course there's plenty of other hidden costs; staff training, legal experience/compliance, etc. But when a simple request for meter readings isn't handled, it doesn't inspire much confidence. Their inventory/check out report was also poor - lots of basic omissions like status of gifted items left at the house.

Would it be typical for an agent to check all windows open properly and have a full complement of keys (fire safety regs)?

This is a world away from how the same company handled things the last time round, when it was very comprehensively done. It all points to staffing issues.

The solution is clear, so we're looking at alternatives but just wanted to get a feel for what's normal for a full managed service, beyond our own experience of one agent.

Comment

Edit: moved to a new thread:
              https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...evel-of-detail

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X