Was a new Agreement needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was a new Agreement needed

Our tenant has been in the property since May 2015. In March 2017 she said she wanted to leave but then changed her mind and decided to sign up for a year.
    The rent was raised by £20 at the time.
    As we have now finished with our agent, we have the agreement and no new agreement was set up in May 2017. Surely a new AST should have been drawn up? We were charged by the agent a sum which also included an inventory. This wasn't done either.

Just as well you have finished wth them! You could complain to whichever scheme they are registered with for having taken money for an inventory and not providing the service.

If they said they would put a new AST in place then that too!

Comment

Unless the tenant was given a copy of a new tenancy agreement without your knowledge, then their tenancy is now periodic, but perfectly valid. I am surprised the Agency let you go with the tenant still in place

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        Unless the tenant was given a copy of a new tenancy agreement without your knowledge, then their tenancy is now periodic, but perfectly valid. I am surprised the Agency let you go with the tenant still in place
        I was really asking if a new agreement should have been drawn up, when the rent was increased?
        Surely one should have been drawn up for the 12months

We left the agent because they have been appalling, one instance, roof was leaking and agent forgot to email roofer to do the job, causing more work to be done. We don't have any agreement with the agent between ourselves and them (another mistake) and now this has come to light re inventory and agreement

Comment

Its not necessary to create a new tenancy just to increase the rent. You can agree a rent increase informally with the tenant and if they start paying it then it becomes formal. If they don't then you can issue a s13 notice to demand an increased rent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X