Special Case of Serving a Section 21 Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Case of Serving a Section 21 Notice

I have a special circumstance for which I require advise.

I've let a room to a tenant on a 5 months short-let room-only non-AST contract back in 2017, with periodic monthly renewal beyond the initial period. He has stayed at the property since, and I understand that his tenancy having lasted more than 6 months will have automatically turned into and deemed as an AST.

I have not presented any of the prescribed documents required by an AST agreement and did not protect his deposit either, as this was not required by the short-let agreement.

Now, I would like to serve him a section 21 notice. But there's no physical AST contract in place. Furthermore, the tenant has stayed for more than two years and without a new agreement is deemed to be continuing on a 1 calendar month periodic basis (which is his payment period). Therefore, I have the following questions:

1- Can I serve a valid section 21 now, without a physical AST at hand, if I protect his deposit and issue the prescribed information (i.e. how to rent guide, EPC, Gas Safety Certificate, etc.) before his notice is served?

2- Do I have to serve him a 2 months notice, or can I just give him 1 month to vacate the property based on his current periodic tenancy?

To complicate matters further, I must mention that the property in question was licensable as a HMO, but not licensed, for a period of time. When I first served him notice, he sought legal advise from the Citizen's Advice Bureau and was told the notice is not valid. However, all other tenants have since vacated the property and this single occupant remains. Will my notice be valid right now, as the property is no longer licensable with a single occupant.

I look forward to your kind advice.

Kindest regards

Exactly how did the contract say that it wasn't an AST. From the sounds of things it was always assured; words that purport to change that have no effect if the reality is that it is for a person's main home and it is not an excluded tenancy, and not a genuine licence.

Saying that it is not an AST may mean it is a simple assured tenancy, with enhanced security of tenure (no section 21 option) and restrictions on rent increases.

Unless it qualifies as an excluded tenancy, this should should have been formulated as an AST in the first place, to avoid giving an AT. ASTs can be for less than six months, even though possession proceedings, under section 21, cannot be started before then. I don't think anyone will believe this is a genuine holiday let.

Your link is a link to the reader's Google drive, not to yours.

Comment

1 - If it is an AST, you would have to return the deposit before serving notice under s21. If your original tenancy agreement specifically said that it wasn't an AST, it isn't an AST and won't have become one. If the agreement is not an AST, section 21 is not available.

2 - You have to give the tenant 2 months notice.

If the property was meant to be licensable and wasn't, the tenant can claim back rent paid for that period.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you didn't serve a GSC before he moved in, a s21 will be impossible now

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New LandLord - advice needed
          virtualtechie
          Hi all,

I am new landlord and wanted some advise

Basically we have let out house that we were in (we have moved to new) , i was able to let it to 2 professionals (friends) from feb 19 - sep 12 and now they have decided to leave due to their circumstances

i have...
          21-09-2019, 07:33 AM
        • Reply to New LandLord - advice needed
          AndrewDod
          3 days. And if the documents show that they (clearly) lied on the Tenancy prelims questionnaire and had they not you would not have bothered, then they don't get the holding deposit back either....
          21-09-2019, 18:42 PM
        • Cat Urine Smell
          Lucymcmullen
          Hi All, I am looking for some advise please. I've just rented a house and there is a very strong cat urine smell that is unbearable. The house stank when I viewed it but the previous tenant was still there at the time with the cats so I assumed the smell was coming from the litter box. I was informed...
          21-09-2019, 17:59 PM
        • Eviction notice s21
          Propertygoesup
          I refer to the checklist here:
          https://markprichard.co.uk/content/d...ecker-tool.pdf
          ​​​​​​The AST began in July 2015 and was 12 months. Nothing has been signed since.
          On question 6 I am not sure which answer to follow.
          There is a mention...
          18-09-2019, 21:32 PM
        • Reply to Eviction notice s21
          Propertygoesup
          I still don't get it. Is the current tenancy the AST which was for 12 months from 07/15 or is the current tenant a SPT which began automatically in 07/16? Surely the answer to this will effect the eviction requirements?...
          21-09-2019, 17:33 PM
        • Looking for a humidity monitor
          john lewis
          Does anyone know of a way of remotely monitoring humidity in the flat that we rent out? Sometimes we end up with tenants that complain about mould and I'm pretty sure its condensation because they don't ope the windows in winter.
          Cheers
          JL
          19-09-2019, 13:02 PM
        • Reply to Looking for a humidity monitor
          ash72
          My advice which I've done, is give the T a dehumifier (around £60-£100) most of the time they use it as I tell them the benefits of it both to their bills, and their health. After around 3-6 months I then remove it and tell them to buy their own if they require to have the benefit of it....
          21-09-2019, 15:17 PM
        • Recommended tenant tracing service?
          Osman234
          Hello everybody.

My tenant didn't pay rent for several months, didn't respond to communication, and then did a runner.

I have regained possession of the property and obtained a money order for the amount owing.

Now I need to track the tenant down.

18-09-2019, 11:43 AM
        • Reply to Recommended tenant tracing service?
          ash72
          Depending on how long the T has left and if they have register with a council, it's unlikely a tracing company would be able to find the person, my advice would be to wait at least 6 - 12 months then instruct a tracing agent for a more successful outcome. If you have their employer details you could...
          21-09-2019, 15:11 PM
        • Reply to New LandLord - advice needed
          ash72
          You should contact the prospective T, and tell them they have 14 days in which to provide all the information needed for the credit and reference checking, if it not there by then return any deposit, and relist for any new enquiry.
          21-09-2019, 15:01 PM
        Working...
        X