Electoral roll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electoral roll

Hi all, I have found two tenants to rent my flat for a year (first time I’ve ever rented it out or been a landlord), the credit checks came back that one of the prospective tenants has never been listed on an electoral roll and has no past landlord references. Does that sounds alarming? I’m supposed to sign the contract tomorrow but I am feeling a little uneasy. Should I insist they get a guarantor?
    Many thanks, Anna

Have you asked the prospective tenant. You should have done that before doing the "credit check" in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by annam222 View Post
      Hi all, I have found two tenants to rent my flat for a year
      6 months AST only, then periodic.

the credit checks came back that one of the prospective tenants has never been listed on an electoral roll and has no past landlord references.
      Why? Ask them.

Does that sounds alarming?
      Not really, depending on the answers.

I’m supposed to sign the contract tomorrow
      Sez who? Don't put time pressures on yourself, not your problem. If you're uneasy, keep digging until you are satisfied -or not.

Should I insist they get a guarantor?
      Not if you are feeling uneasy. Walk away if you're not happy. If you become happy/satisfied/easy about it, without any time constraints, then consider guarantors as an additional bonus.

At the moment, you hold all the cards, once a tenancy is granted, the deck is loaded against you.

Edit: Cross posted with AD

Comment

OP, Are you cut out to be a LL?

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
          OP, Are you cut out to be a LL?
          Bit harsh Mariner.
          You've answered a lot dafter posts, what's flicked your switch?

Comment

A reasonable question given OP's apparent lack of experience.

Comment

Hello, I don’t have any experience so apologies for my very basic and probably naive questions.
              Thank you for your replies.

The estate agent (I’m doing let & collect) I am using did all the referencing in one go, landlord, employment, credit checks so I was led by them and they actioned all together.

The estate agent said that I cannot go 6 month AST then go periodic, I did ask and was told it’s 12 months minimum.

I have asked the agent to ask the prospective tenant why they have never been listed on the electoral role as I know there can be many reasons. The same tenant advised that he doesn’t have any landlord references as he has always lived at home with his parents or rented via openrent.

boletus- you are definitely right in that I should be very comfortable with prospective tenants before I commit, I do feel uneasy. I have found it difficult getting the agent to give me some straight answers which I really need as a total novice- I wanted them to walk me through this but I am very aware they just want me to sign so they can get their fee.

I may decline these tenants as I don’t feel relaxed about it, I can continue to to look for another tenant with the agent but also look myself via openrent as perhaps dealing directly with prospective tenants myself will mean I get straight answers rather than the vague responses the agent is sometimes giving me.

Many thanks again,
              Anna

Comment

Do you live nearby? In general it is NEVER a good idea to let agents select tenants (if you use an agent). Meet them yourself and decide. There are many things to do before credit checks.

I can't see any particular reason to be uneasy (or otherwise) about this tenant on the basis of what you know so far. The agent..... well not so much lack of unease...

Comment

Originally posted by annam222 View Post
                  The estate agent said that I cannot go 6 month AST then go periodic, I did ask and was told it’s 12 months minimum.
                  Your agent is either lying to you or is incompetent.

There is no minimum length for an AST, but the practical minimum length is 6 months.
                  As a way of minimising your risk, you want as short a fixed term as possible.

If the agent is collecting their fees in advance, my suspicion is that they're lying to you in order to get 12 month's money upfront.
                  If they're collecting the fees monthly, so there's no advantage to them in a longer tenancy, they just don't know what they're doing.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X