Should I take these tenants on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 2 bed flat and a couple with a child (recommended by the lady who lives in the flat below the one they want to rent of mine as they are friends) would like to rent my flat. They are currently living in a 3 bed house and the owner wants to sell and has provided a good reference and they were paying around £1950 PCM. My flat will be available for £1450 PCM.

This issue I have is that I have done a comprehensive check via the NLA checking express service and everything has come up fine except for affordability. The combined verified income is around 33K and the checks mean that they can " afford just under £1000 PCM. One of them is a builder. They have been living in their previous property for almost five years. There are no CCJ's etc. I remember in the past a tenant failed an affordability check done by a letting agent and the difference in what they "could afford" was offset by them paying the difference all up front at the beginning of the tenancy (circa 4K) Is that still allowed with these new rules?

I note that I can get rent guarantee and some of these services do not take into consideration affordability and the NLA's seems to be one of these, therefore getting rent guarantee insurance and legal expense cover would provide me with financial assurance going forward.

I believe you would need to take six month's money in full up front, or it may be seen as a deposit.

Comment

These kinds of "checks" are nonsense without some brain applied.

Some people have a "verified income" of zero yet £3000,000 in the bank. Don't rely on rent insurance or legal cover to make any decisions - they will not help much when push comes to shove. In general they are money wasted.

This is another example of how laws punish tenants. In the good old days they might have been perfectly happy to pay rent up front, large deposits etc. to get a decent place to stay - now their leverage is taken from them because those things are scary to get right -- and they are now competing with the general bunch of high-risk tenants even though they may not be.

Have you seen their bank accounts?

Comment

I would ask to see 6 months' bank statements to see the rent being paid.
        c. £23K rent out of £33K income sounds excessive.

Comment

What does OP think? It is their business decision. We can only advise.

Comment

As said any 'affordability' checks are by nature arbitary.

They use an arbitary percentage of income to say what someone can 'afford', when of course the person may be quite happy to pay a larger percentage of their income for rent.

In this case as for the last 5 years they have been managing to pay £500 a month more than your rent will be then I wouldn't see any problem.
            (Always assuming that you are being told the truth).

Comment

Originally posted by chirpatel View Post
              They are currently living in a 3 bed house and the owner wants to sell and has provided a good reference and they were paying around £1950 PCM. My flat will be available for £1450 PCM.

The combined verified income is around 33K and the checks mean that they can " afford just under £1000 PCM. One of them is a builder. They have been living in their previous property for almost five years
              Maybe the builder does a lot of “cash in hand jobs”.

Comment

He's a builder, probably has more money under his mattress than you or I have in the bank! They charge at least £150 per day here and it isn't a rich area, and he's been paying more than he can afford on paper for the last 5 years. Perhaps find out how good a builder he is, as long as he has a good reputation he won't be short of work.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                  He's a builder,........They charge at least £150 per day here and it isn't a rich area,
                  For an 8 hour day that's only £18.75 an hour, which is fairly low for a builder in the UK.
                  Remember that's not just covering their wages but all their other business overheads as well.

According to a major website the average UK hourly charging rates (not wages) for various trades are:

Bricklayer £25
                  Decorator £23
                  Electrician £27
                  Gas installer £30
                  Groundworker £21
                  Joiner £23
                  Plasterer £24
                  Plumber £28
                  Roof tiler £22

Wish I'd seen that earlier, I've just invoiced £15/hr for doing some basic plans for an extension.
                  (I am not an Architect, they charge £50-£90 an hour).

Comment

Check bank statements to see what they a re actually spending. Ask them outright why their income is more than the verified amount. Then decide what to do next. Something is not adding up because that rent wouldnt leave them much to live on.

If he is dishonestly doing a lot of cash in hand work is he going to be trustworthy over your property - and do you have other choices.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                      For an 8 hour day that's only £18.75 an hour, which is fairly low for a builder in the UK.
                      Remember that's not just covering their wages but all their other business overheads as well.

According to a major website the average UK hourly charging rates (not wages) for various trades are:

Bricklayer £25
                      Decorator £23
                      Electrician £27
                      Gas installer £30
                      Groundworker £21
                      Joiner £23
                      Plasterer £24
                      Plumber £28
                      Roof tiler £22

Wish I'd seen that earlier, I've just invoiced £15/hr for doing some basic plans for an extension.
                      (I am not an Architect, they charge £50-£90 an hour).
                      It's all very well quoting this but does he actually work and is he any good. Any good tradesman owns their own gaff I find.
                      Agree with MdeB - see the bank statements or forget it.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Access to sheds
                        by endymion
                        Well, partly, but mainly I'm considering whether the sheds would have to be explicitly excluded from the tenancy in the AST. It's a question of what would be considered the default position in law....
                        03-06-2020, 14:53 PM
                      • Access to sheds
                        by endymion
                        Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
                        03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
                        by endymion
                        Interesting. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Nonetheless, if the deeds stipulate that the sheds are part of the flat, rather than communal, surely that's quite a different matter....
                        03-06-2020, 14:52 PM
                        by MdeB
                        I believe the OP is coming from the position of:
                        • The LL has granted us the right, beyond the tenancy agreement, to use two sheds.
                        • Would the law consider that having granted that use, the LL cannot unilaterally withdraw the use of those sheds?
                        03-06-2020, 14:48 PM
                      • Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                        by MdeB
                        The Government guidance suggests not (under "What will the report show?").
                        C1, C2 and F need action; C3 does not (C3 is "safe but not to current standards for new installations"...
                        03-06-2020, 14:38 PM
                      • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                        by Ozzie11
                        Hi

I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
                        01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
                        by AndrewDod
                        There may or may not be a lease in that case. But there might be. If there is a lease, then it makes no difference that the lessee and freeholder happen to be the same people. If there are no leases, I cannot see that you have any particular rights beyond the flat that you lease. The presumption in...
                        03-06-2020, 14:30 PM
                      • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                        by jpkeates
                        Yes, the tenants have to take reasonable steps.

But the OP didn't mention fans or ventilation and did mention opening the windows "when" bathing or cooking....
                        03-06-2020, 14:25 PM
                      • Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                        by Borischelski
                        I wonder if I could trouble someone for advice, having recently become a Landlord for the first time ?

BACKGROUND
                        A year ago I inherited a small 1970s one bedroom flat in Birmingham.

The flat was originally heated with a couple of electric bar heaters....
                        02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
                      • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
                        by MdeB
                        No, you are telling them that they need to take reasonable steps such as removing excess water and ventilating the bathroom after showering.
                        And, maybe, treating hte mould when it appears.

In my shower room:
                        1. I use a "squeegee" to remove most water from walls, screen, and
                        03-06-2020, 14:20 PM
                      Working...
                      X