Absent tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absent tenant

I have a tenant on HB who gets her council tax paid. She has said she wants to leave but can only do so if I evict her so she can get a council house. I attempted to evict her but for some reason or other the court threw it out even though she owes thousands in unpaid rent.
    i have now received a council tax demand which essentially means the council has stopped paying for my house and is paying for her at another address. This is not the first time this has happened to me. However she hasn't handed over the keys and ignores all attempts to contact her.
    I know I have to seek possession from the courts but do I have to serve her 2 months notice a section 21 or 8?

What was the reason for the court throwing it out? That would be relevant to what action you can take now.

Originally posted by Paulpopb View Post
    but for some reason or other the court threw it out even though she owes thousands in unpaid rent.

Comment

It is a myth that evicting tenants will get them a council house.

If she has returned the keys and the council are demanding CT from you them get the council to put in writing that they accept she does not live at the property. I'd get in there and get it on the market. Others may disagree.

Only let to working persons - lessens the chance of this happening again.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

My advice would be to write a letter that you will carry out an inspection later this week.

You want to make sure nothing is damaged, it will also give you an idea if she has dumped her belongings at yours.

Side issue: you don't know who she has given a key to. This puts your property at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
          If she has returned the keys.

However she hasn't handed over the keys and ignores all attempts to contact her.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
            get the council to put in writing that they accept she does not live at the property.
            Have you ever got a council to do that? Or even come anywhere close?

Comment

i have now received a council tax demand which essentially means the council has stopped paying for my house and is paying for her at another address. This is not the first time this has happened to me.
              Just out of interest, knowing the high risk involved, why did you continue doing it?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X