At my wit's end! Landlord selective licensing property standards - minimum room size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't find anything in the legislation,although there are house building standards that would allow the fitted wardrobe in the size.

I have a suspicion that the rules disallowing fitted wardrobes come from specific council licensing rules, rather than general legislation.

Note that the housebuilding standards also set a minimum width, which cannot make use of the fitted wardrobe. I think this may actually be a standard for new builds only. https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk...space_standard.

Note that, in a non-HMO context, you can count living rooms, dining rooms, and sometimes even large kitchens, in determining the number of people allowed. Unfortunately, in my area, it looks like sleeping in the living room is becoming more than a theoretical possibility for many families.

Comment

Is this a conversion or a purpose built flat? If a conversion look up the planning details online via address at council's website and see what size bedroom was given consent for at Planning Permission stage.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

It looks like their response is saying they will allow 10% leeway so you will be fine.
        In my experience of London licensing schemes they only want your money and paperwork . No one capable of using a tape measure will ever visit your property, just put 6.5 sq m and forget about it !
        Hackney's web site says they have 4500 properties that should be licensed but around 40 have actually applied so my guess is they will all have more enforcement priorities than worrying about half a square metre.

Comment

I think the 40 v 4500 is probably for mandatory licences. One of the reasons for selective licensing is to tind the under the radar HMOs.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
            I think the 40 v 4500 is probably for mandatory licences. One of the reasons for selective licensing is to tind the under the radar HMOs.
            Lines are blurring, Hackney have selective licensing but also now say any property with 3 unrelated residents is an HMO and needs a licence irrespective of any other criteria.
            And that will be £950 thank you very much....
            eg an unmarried couple and lodger in 2 bed flat is an HMO.

Comment

Whether you couple and lodger is an HMO depends on whether the couple are long leaseholders or just on short term rental. This is additional licensing, rather than selective licensing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X