Blockage in Toilet - Flushable wipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blockage in Toilet - Flushable wipes

We have just had a call from our tenant about the toilet overflowing. She said she took out a big bunch of flushable toilet wipes!. However the toilet continued to fill and water went through the bathroom floor and down into the lounge through the main light fitting. I have been down and the water is still dripping down into the lounge (she has put a paddling pool down to collect the water. Have arranged for an electrician to isolate the light, so she can use the lights.
    Obviously we are duty bound to meet the costs of new light and electrician. My questions are 1. Can I ask her not to use flushable wipes to avoid it happening again? 2. If it has damaged the new laminate flooring in the lounge, who pays?

There are flushable wipes and there are "flushable wipes". Are you sure these are the sort that are really flushable, rather than just labelled as such. Even then, the really flushable ones should only be used once per sitting.

Flat leases often have covenants against putting rags down toilets.

In this case, I think a secondary factor is that there is a fault with the cistern. In particular some cisterns overflow via the pan if the float valve fails.

Comment

All of the costs should be recharged to the tenant.
      They caused the damage.

If that doesn't make them realise that the notion of a wet wipe being flushable is something no manufacturer can claim honestly, nothing will.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        There are flushable wipes and there are "flushable wipes". Are you sure these are the sort that are really flushable, rather than just labelled as such. Even then, the really flushable ones should only be used once per sitting.

Flat leases often have covenants against putting rags down toilets.

In this case, I think a secondary factor is that there is a fault with the cistern. In particular some cisterns overflow via the pan if the float valve fails.
        Our plumber told me the only things that should go in a toilet is toilet paper and the various human wastes. NOTHING else, as it risks blockage.

You will have to source workmen, arrange the work and pay them BUT it is likely entirely the tenants cost.
        Only reason it might not be is if tenant is new, and possibly previous tenant did it.

Comment

Sounds like a six year old naughty person putting a whole pack down the loo to me.

Comment

Any plumber will tell you NOT to use flushable wipes and will echo the other points posted by sam-cat. I suggest freeholders issue instructions to leaseholders and landlords include a term in tenancy agreements making clear no paper towels, flushable wipes to be put down loos.

In our building there have been a few instances where external drains required work owing to blockages and each time there were wads of flushable wipes and kitchen roll among the debris removed. Unfortunately, no one admits to putting offending items down the loos and all leaseholders pay for the work via service charges. The freeholder politely reminds everyone but the problem recurs.

Comment

Originally posted by vmart View Post
              Any plumber will tell you NOT to use flushable wipes and will echo the other points posted by sam-cat. I suggest freeholders issue instructions to leaseholders and landlords include a term in tenancy agreements making clear no paper towels, flushable wipes to be put down loos.

In our building there have been a few instances where external drains required work owing to blockages and each time there were wads of flushable wipes and kitchen roll among the debris removed. Unfortunately, no one admits to putting offending items down the loos and all leaseholders pay for the work via service charges. The freeholder politely reminds everyone but the problem recurs.

Its in the tenancy agreement we use, so is unambiguous.. Not that most tenants read it, but hey, they signed it. As I said earlier, only time there might be doubt of who's responsible is shortly after a change of tenants.

Comment

Put a notice up in the bathroom/toilet and in the tenancy agreement saying ' only put into the toilet wasted that has passed through your body and ORDINARY toilet paper. NO WET WIPES'. Agree tenant is responsible.

I find that quilted toilet paper can cause problems too - it is just too bulky

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

As they say prevention is better than cure...if the tenant knew how to stop an overflowing toilet the damage could have been prevented or minimized. It's best having a word with them. You can Google "how to stop an overflowing toilet".

I say this because I had a situation where water started pouring down my flat from the flat above and noone was in. Luckily, I knew the location of the main cockstop for the flat above so I was able to shut their water supply. The plumber that came later on said it was good I did what I did because water would have filled above the ceiling and caved in.

Comment

Originally posted by vmart View Post
                    Any plumber will tell you NOT to use flushable wipes
                    So do the water companies; those that make it to the treatment plants clog them up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Long time tenants , no TA
                      Luke
                      Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                      Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                      Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                      Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months...
                      18-09-2019, 07:23 AM
                    • Finding new tenant
                      artin
                      Hi
                      Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
                      I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant...
                      15-09-2019, 20:27 PM
                    • Reply to Finding new tenant
                      Berlingogirl
                      I'd still let to them but before doing so would make it clear that you'll be carrying out a courtesy visit in around 6 weeks/2 months to see how they're getting on and if there are any problems....
                      18-09-2019, 07:20 AM
                    • Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
                      TracyRoman
                      I am just advertising a newly renovated HMO. I have had an enquiry from a prospective tenant who has advised (pretty last minute in our discussions) that he has an 8 year old son who stays with him Thursday night to Sunday afternoon each week.

Do landlords typically allow this? I personally...
                      17-09-2019, 05:45 AM
                    • Reply to Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
                      Berlingogirl
                      and the ratio of people to toilets and showers.

It's all such a bad idea. My HMOs aren't safety checked for children and I've no idea if any of the tenants are on the sex offenders list....
                      18-09-2019, 07:15 AM
                    • Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                      cancan
                      Hi everyone,

I currently have a TDS adjudication with my ex-tenants ongoing. The tenants' deposit is 4300. The damages i am trying to claim in total is 7000. Even if i do get awarded the full deposit, i'm still short 2700. Im wondering if Small Claims via Money Claim Online (MCOL) is available...
                      16-09-2019, 19:24 PM
                    • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                      Berlingogirl
                      I used Once white emulsion to paint over black walls and ceilings and just one coat really did cover it, and I'm no decorating expert. I also used Once gloss to cover black gloss and again it covered it. £5000 seems very high for a 2 bed property, unless it was a huge place.

£672 also...
                      18-09-2019, 07:12 AM
                    • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
                      cancan
                      Thanks everyone. I figured I should wait for the adjudication decision - if its in my favor, then i can consider small claims. If it isn't, i definitely can forget it.

But i suppose if the adjudication is in my favor, i can start small claims , since it is possible i will not be required...
                      18-09-2019, 03:50 AM
                    • Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
                      alenuk
                      Wondering if someone can help me here.
                      I live in Council Estate. Having a mortgage and been living here since 2002
                      Earlier this year gang of thieves entered Storage Room (doors are secured with number lock) and broken into my storage and tools worth approximately £ 2000 were taken.
                      email to council
                      16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
                    • Reply to Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
                      mariner
                      Any non-workng Security system can have a detterence factor untll sussed eg dummy alarm boxes.
                      L has no duty to provide CCTV in communal areas and is best advised not to do so,...
                      18-09-2019, 01:36 AM
                    Working...
                    X