Help with Section 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Section 21

Hi everyone, basically i issued a section 21 and a section 8 to a tenant for rent arrears. After giving this notice, we came to an agreement and they have been paying their arrears.
    But since the notice we have received many complaints from neighbours due to anti-social behaviour, can i use the previously given section 21 (which is enforceable) for this anti-social behaviour, or what is my best course of action? many thanks in advance

You can use the s21 unless it is a recent tenancy and the notice was served more than 6 months ago.

You don't have any particular obligation to deal with the anti-social behaviour, they're your tenants, you haven't adopted them.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you are subject to selective licensing, you will almost certainly have an obligation to deal with ASB. Failure of landlords to address ASB is one of the main reasons that can be used to justify such schemes.

See Housing Act 2004, S80(6)(b): https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/34/section/80

Comment

What was the terms of the agreement?
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
          If you are subject to selective licensing, you will almost certainly have an obligation to deal with ASB. Failure of landlords to address ASB is one of the main reasons that can be used to justify such schemes.

See Housing Act 2004, S80(6)(b): https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/34/section/80
          Not sure this is correct or relevant - the fact that that some or all of the private sector landlords who have let premises in an area (whether under leases or licences) are failing to take action to combat the problem of anti-social behaviour that it would be appropriate for them to take is just one of the factors a local authority would consider before designating an area for selective licensing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X