Radiator 'fallen' off the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator 'fallen' off the wall

My tenant has reported that a radiator has fallen off the wall, she came home and it had fallen off, This just happens to be in the childrens bedroom so I am a little suspicious that this has been done but the tenants child standing or swinging on it as radiators don't just fall off walls. The letting company say I have to pay for this now and cannot pass the charge onto the tenant as I am responsible under the new legislation. But, where is the line drawn between damage that occurs naturally and damage that has been done by the tenant, surely this gives them full reign to wreck things when they feel like it and me has the landlord pick up the tab???

Radiators dont just fall off walls..

Comment

Ah, I'm guessing letting company are doing the work?

I take it the pipes have not been severed though? How attached are you to this tenant? You could always suggest she pays up or gets a s21 notice.

Comment

Originally posted by MELMESSENGER View Post
        The letting company say I have to pay for this now and cannot pass the charge onto the tenant as I am responsible under the new legislation.
        If your letting agent said this, I would end my relationship with them on the basis that they are manifestly incompetent.

There is no new legislation that makes any changes to this situation.

Ask the letting agent to go and have a look at the property and give a view on how the radiator "fell off".
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you all on this. I have asked someone I know to look at this rather than the letting co and said if the finding are that it has been damaged by them I will be billing them directly to which I was told new legislation states I am responsible and cant pass any charges onto them! To me this gives them free reign to do whatever they like ! jpkeates, I will do that, thank you.

Comment

Sorry to add, this is due to the tenant fee ban - this is why I have to pay and not them !?

Comment

You're not charging a fee, you're demanding compensation for the tenant damaging your property.
              If the tenant wasn't responsible (ie. the radiator did fall off the wall), it would be an illegal fee to charge the tenant to repair the damage.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If this is coming from your agent, I would give serious consideration to finding a new agent as they clearly do not understand the changes to the law!

Comment

Radiators can just fall off the wall. They are extremely heavy items when full of water, especially when they are bolted to stud walls, which is often the case these days. It may have been helped by someone leaning on it, which is no ones fault if the brackets are not tight due to the holes getting bigger in the wall.

A well fixed radiator to a solid wall would need considerable force to pull it off the wall. It could be that the radiator has come off the brackets and just needs lifting back into position.

Comment

I agree with amazondean. My walls aren't actually stud walls, but the fixings for the radiators are pretty heavy duty.

Comment

Radiators can and do fall off walls if they are not properly fixed. However if properly fixed it's often quite difficult to get them off again (I've sometimes removed them when decorating). I'm rather surprised that no-one has mentioned water leaking from it, pipes would quite likely be damaged if it fell off.

See what type of damage has occurred before you decide whether to make a charge/ claim against their deposit. If it looks like screws supporting a bracket have come loose or have rusted through and it was installed years ago you'll have trouble proving it was anyone's fault and should pay up.

Comment

Hi Mellmessenger.
                        Can we confirm that it is indeed a wet system? or is it an Electric radiator/panel?

If it is a wet system, then it is quite difficult (not impossible) to unhook off the wall bracket. As the pipes are normally routed in such a way that insufficient clearance to 'lift' the radiator up.

If electric panel heater, then these can be knocked/pulled off their wall mounted brackets and is a simple case of hooking them back on.

As previous posts, radiators are only as good as their fixings. BUT would take considerable force to pull a radiator off a wall if it was originally secured correctly.

Would need more info to clarify, then could take a view on DAMAGE / MISUSE / INSTALLER ERROR and who is liable.

Either way, I would throw the ball back at the agent.. (then look for a new one).

Comment

The agent is talking through a small hole in their back end. Terminate your client agreement immediately - if they do not understand the fundamentals of legislation that is just a month old you don't have a hope in hell of them understanding anything older than that

Comment

If radiator has fallen off the wall chances are the impact would have lossened the pipes under it, I would recommend at least do a leak test on it, otherwise a slow leak would ruin your floor boards before you notice any wet patches.

Comment

If it is a "modern" house, then the radiator pipes may be flexible (they are in my daughter's 10-year-old house).
                              In this case it is quite easy to unhook a radiator (great for decorating), and little/no damage to the pipework will occur.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X