Permission to Transfer to High Court but solicitor wants £1k to proceed further

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Permission to Transfer to High Court but solicitor wants £1k to proceed further

    We were recently successful in gaining possession through the county court for non payment of rent for 9 months through our solicitors.

    The judge then granted permission to transfer this to the High Court.

    Our Solicitors have quoted in excess of £1k plus court fees to manage the eviction process. We have already paid a substantial fee for the County Court Judgement.

    It is unlikely the tenant will leave in the stated 14 days period, and we were prepared to have the court bailiffs evict her. However, according to the solicitors this process could take another two months which we can't afford. The High Court process will ensure eviction in circa 14 days.

    Whilst I appreciate the argument, that I will loose more in rent, I am loathed to pay the additional legal costs, but could do with understanding how I could avoid this cost? Can do it myself? Or instruct another solicitor?

    I can't help but feel we are being ripped off!

    If the judge has given permission to transfer the matter to the high court, call a high court enforcement company.
    The chances are that they will help manage the process for you, but they will also charge for the service (but they'll probably charge pretty much the same even if your solicitor is involved).

    Note that 14 days is very optimistic even though the High Court enforcement route is almost certainly quicker than the county court bailiffs.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Contact the a High Court enforcement company, they will give you a lead time, you will then just need to pay their costs (you really don't require a solicitor once it's been transferred to HC) , on the date of eviction they will come and escort the T out, remember to have a locksmith arranged, and change the locks, so that the T can't re-enter. Also take photo's of the property when you enter if you are then going to try and recover any damages etc.

      My own experiences was I stayed on the county court bailiff services and was given 4 weeks when they would enforce the order.


        My lawyer quoted 2k so sounds like a bargain to me


        Latest Activity


        • New LandLord - advice needed
          Hi all,

          I am new landlord and wanted some advise

          Basically we have let out house that we were in (we have moved to new) , i was able to let it to 2 professionals (friends) from feb 19 - sep 12 and now they have decided to leave due to their circumstances

          i have...
          21-09-2019, 07:33 AM
        • Reply to New LandLord - advice needed
          3 days. And if the documents show that they (clearly) lied on the Tenancy prelims questionnaire and had they not you would not have bothered, then they don't get the holding deposit back either....
          21-09-2019, 18:42 PM
        • Cat Urine Smell
          Hi All, I am looking for some advise please. I've just rented a house and there is a very strong cat urine smell that is unbearable. The house stank when I viewed it but the previous tenant was still there at the time with the cats so I assumed the smell was coming from the litter box. I was informed...
          21-09-2019, 17:59 PM
        • Eviction notice s21
          I refer to the checklist here:

          ​​​​​​The AST began in July 2015 and was 12 months. Nothing has been signed since.
          On question 6 I am not sure which answer to follow.
          There is a mention...
          18-09-2019, 21:32 PM
        • Reply to Eviction notice s21
          I still don't get it. Is the current tenancy the AST which was for 12 months from 07/15 or is the current tenant a SPT which began automatically in 07/16? Surely the answer to this will effect the eviction requirements?...
          21-09-2019, 17:33 PM
        • Looking for a humidity monitor
          john lewis
          Does anyone know of a way of remotely monitoring humidity in the flat that we rent out? Sometimes we end up with tenants that complain about mould and I'm pretty sure its condensation because they don't ope the windows in winter.
          19-09-2019, 13:02 PM
        • Reply to Looking for a humidity monitor
          My advice which I've done, is give the T a dehumifier (around £60-£100) most of the time they use it as I tell them the benefits of it both to their bills, and their health. After around 3-6 months I then remove it and tell them to buy their own if they require to have the benefit of it....
          21-09-2019, 15:17 PM
        • Recommended tenant tracing service?
          Hello everybody.

          My tenant didn't pay rent for several months, didn't respond to communication, and then did a runner.

          I have regained possession of the property and obtained a money order for the amount owing.

          Now I need to track the tenant down.

          18-09-2019, 11:43 AM
        • Reply to Recommended tenant tracing service?
          Depending on how long the T has left and if they have register with a council, it's unlikely a tracing company would be able to find the person, my advice would be to wait at least 6 - 12 months then instruct a tracing agent for a more successful outcome. If you have their employer details you could...
          21-09-2019, 15:11 PM
        • Reply to New LandLord - advice needed
          You should contact the prospective T, and tell them they have 14 days in which to provide all the information needed for the credit and reference checking, if it not there by then return any deposit, and relist for any new enquiry.
          21-09-2019, 15:01 PM