Giving notice as a lodger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving notice as a lodger

Hello, I am currently a lodger living with my landlord and I will giving a months notice to leave soon. I don't have a written contract (not my decision) and I've been paying rent at the beginning of each month. The notice I intend on giving will expire before the month is over. Do I pay the landlord the full amount of rent for the last month or just the amount that covers the notice period?

In the absence of a contract, the default position (probably) is that it is a whole rental month not a month starting at a random point. That would certain;ly be the case if it were a AST (which it is not).

Have you spoken with the person? Most people are reasonable if you have been reasonable.

Comment

The landlord isn't reasonable at all, he reacted in a very hostile way when I told him about the possibility of me leaving. I'm trying to leave as soon as possible

Comment

As a Lodger, you have no no Rights, unless specified.
        Offer LL 1 full rental period.
        Why do want to vacate this Lodger Agreement & move?

Comment

I am being harassed by the landlord and genuinely feel scared of him at times. The rent is too expensive and he restricts my access to things like the washing machine.

Comment

Does he have a deposit of yours? If not, he is unlikely to pursue you for owed rent, and if you are frightened, just leave at your earliest convenience. Have a friend witness you leaving in case the landlord causes any problems.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Moving back into a property I rent out rooms in
              by amy131
              I moved into rented accommodation after returning to full time study and currently rent out all bedrooms in a house I own that had been my main residence. I have a residential mortgage with a consent to let. The tenants have ASTs which have gone past the fixed terms so are all rolling monthly now. One...
              10-04-2020, 03:17 AM
            • Reply to Coronavirus - no rent payments due to self-isolation
              by Stew
              As mentioned above reading between the lines the agent may have contacted after yourself and applied some pressure with threat of eviction on behalf of the landlord. This is maybe the reason for the change of attitude.

Some RGI companies such as direct line (I believe) are not processing...
              09-04-2020, 23:29 PM
            • Coronavirus - no rent payments due to self-isolation
              by AustralianGuy
              I have an investment property I have been renting out for five years. I use the services of a letting agent who provides a full management service. This includes vetting prospective tenants and providing a rental guarantee and eviction service if the tenants fail to pay the rent. It is expensive as...
              08-04-2020, 19:51 PM
            • Reply to Lodger eviction
              by Stew
              Hi I would check your lodger agreement, even if this was a HMO I don't believe she would be entitled to sleep on the sofa. Personally I would class this as unreasonble unless she is ill and cannot climb the stairs but you mention it's a flat.

Getting the other documents sent to your partners...
              09-04-2020, 22:54 PM
            • Lodger eviction
              by 2Toasty
              A lodger moved in to a spare room 2 months ago. I was going to be there 3/4 times a week. I live elsewhere. We share utility bills equally. What she didn't mention at the interview was that she is very asthmatic, convalescing from an op, and prone to chest infections. Aged 66, she is now on the very...
              08-04-2020, 18:21 PM
              by 2Toasty
              Hi Stew Thanks for taking the time to answer, and all the other replies.

Yes it is my own place. Council tax paid by me, and all utilities in my name. Other statements go to my partner's place. She is not registered at my address with banks or anything else.

We have a...
              09-04-2020, 22:07 PM
            • Reply to Changing AST from joint to single
              by rupert206
              Thanks for all the responses so far. Appreciated. So the tenant who is currently living at the property has asked me that she wants a new ast in sole name as she is no longer with partner.

Do i tell her that i need a written letter from her partner who is no longer at the property? Once...
              09-04-2020, 21:54 PM
            • Changing AST from joint to single
              by rupert206
              Hi all,

I had a periodic AST with my tenants in a joint name. Recently the tenant has split up with her partner and has requested a new tenancy agreement to be drawn up in a single name.

Is this necessary or can the existing periodic agreement continue?

If it is...
              09-04-2020, 17:46 PM
              by Stew
              Hi 2Toasty

So I noticed in your first post you wrote "I was going to be there 3/4 times a week", is this your own house that you bought and previously lived in full time and is the other place you stay a partners house and you have not legal ownership over it? - If this is the...
              09-04-2020, 21:16 PM
              by hamilton
              No good deed goes unpunished!...
              09-04-2020, 20:44 PM
            Working...
            X