Giving notice as a lodger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving notice as a lodger

Hello, I am currently a lodger living with my landlord and I will giving a months notice to leave soon. I don't have a written contract (not my decision) and I've been paying rent at the beginning of each month. The notice I intend on giving will expire before the month is over. Do I pay the landlord the full amount of rent for the last month or just the amount that covers the notice period?

In the absence of a contract, the default position (probably) is that it is a whole rental month not a month starting at a random point. That would certain;ly be the case if it were a AST (which it is not).

Have you spoken with the person? Most people are reasonable if you have been reasonable.

Comment

The landlord isn't reasonable at all, he reacted in a very hostile way when I told him about the possibility of me leaving. I'm trying to leave as soon as possible

Comment

As a Lodger, you have no no Rights, unless specified.
        Offer LL 1 full rental period.
        Why do want to vacate this Lodger Agreement & move?

Comment

I am being harassed by the landlord and genuinely feel scared of him at times. The rent is too expensive and he restricts my access to things like the washing machine.

Comment

Does he have a deposit of yours? If not, he is unlikely to pursue you for owed rent, and if you are frightened, just leave at your earliest convenience. Have a friend witness you leaving in case the landlord causes any problems.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X