Landlord reference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord reference

hubby and I have applied for a new house with a letting agent. We gave our last landlords details for a reference with no concerns (currently living with family due to sick relative) well we’ve been declined based on the landlords reference. I stunned. We paid our rent always on time, the house was left immaculate, there was no damage, no anti social behaviour, and we got our deposit back no quibbles. I’ve asked the letting agents what the reference says but I’ve been told im
    not allowed to know due to data protection, even though it’s about me. Where do I stand? This is the only landlord we have had so I’m really concerned how we’ll ever move with them apparently giving us a negative reference

The landlord owns the information passed to the letting agent in confidence and without the express consent of the landlord the letting agent should not divulge 'anything' passed to them in confidence including 'the landlord gave you a bad reference'. The letting agent should have been more discreet and simply said 'sorry you have not passed the referencing and therefore we decline to grant you a tenancy' without giving any clues that would breach confidentiality

Comment

The letting agent could of course be lying as to the reason. That is not uncommon. So I would not assume that is the reason.

Comment

Submit a subject access request to the landlord.
        Also to the agent.

Comment

I agree with above comments. To bring this to a speedy closure I would contact the landlord and ask if requested can they please provide any future landlord or agent with a reference that confirms you have never made a late rent payment and that they are not aware of a breach of a condition of your tenancy that warranted a claim for compensation?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
            Submit a subject access request to the landlord.
            Also to the agent.
            There are exemptions, under the GDPR, from subject access requests relating to the provision of services (as well as those relating to employment).

Comment

Originally posted by cymro123 View Post
              I agree with above comments. To bring this to a speedy closure I would contact the landlord and ask if requested can they please provide any future landlord or agent with a reference that confirms you have never made a late rent payment and that they are not aware of a breach of a condition of your tenancy that warranted a claim for compensation?
              I'd tell you where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

There are exemptions, under the GDPR, from subject access requests relating to the provision of services (as well as those relating to employment).
                can you point me at them?

https://globaldatahub.taylorwessing....-uk-exemptions does not mention them (as far a I can see)

Comment

Originally posted by cymro123 View Post
                  The landlord owns the information passed to the letting agent
                  What are your reasons for saying this?

If agent has requested info and LL provides, then the provided information belong to the Agent.

And the "in confidence" issue can only come into play if that is an express condition of providing the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Sproutly View Post
                    Where do I stand?
                    Ask the ICO.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

can you point me at them?

https://globaldatahub.taylorwessing....-uk-exemptions does not mention them (as far a I can see)
                      It's a secondary source, but:

http://www.stronachs.com/news-insigh...nces-post-gdpr

Comment

The best course of action is for the OP to contact their previous landlord to ask what he said in the reference.

If his view of how the tenancy went is different than the OP it might be best to ensure that they are not asked for another reference.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                          That is about employment references.

Comment

It does look as though I misunderstand who was providing the service, but, whilst it is employment focussed, it does mention provision of services which is not an employment context.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I'd tell you where to go.
                              I was not suggesting the tenant asks the landlord to make a false statement :-)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 'pausing' a tenancy
                                henry_of_hillbridge
                                Hi everyone,

I'm here seeking for opinions from more experienced landlords. I'm brand new in the forum and in the landlord world and English is not my first language, so please forgive any absurdities you may hear from me.

I recently bought a flat in Edinburgh which I'm renting...
                                20-08-2019, 19:59 PM
                              • Reply to 'pausing' a tenancy
                                Ted.E.Bear
                                There is a specific forum for questions about tenancies in Scotland.

My guess is that you could possibly arrange to sublet from your tenant during that period - but there is no real way to be sure they will actually move out.
                                It may not be possible, but would likely be difficult...
                                20-08-2019, 20:33 PM
                              • Reply to 'pausing' a tenancy
                                AndrewDod
                                In an ideal world where mature adults could contract with each other as mature adults you could do this.

However given the state of play in 2019 this is not a safe thing to do. There is no way you can write a contract to guarantee it will be available to you to put on AirBnB. So the tenant...
                                20-08-2019, 20:28 PM
                              • Can I charge...
                                t-mhrwl
                                I have paid an agent to market my property. They have found a tenant who was due to move in yesterday. The dates have already been delayed once. They have paid 3 months advance rent and a 5 week deposit. All paperwork has been prepared and checked by all parties. The tenant has now decided they don't...
                                17-08-2019, 12:08 PM
                              • Reply to Can I charge...
                                t-mhrwl
                                Thanks all....
                                20-08-2019, 20:13 PM
                              • Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
                                ABC123
                                Just wondering what people's opinions were on this.

The block has a front door that opens onto a courtyard and then a door that leads into a stairwell and then the door to the flat. A separate key is needed for each door.

The tenant says he put the latch on the door to the...
                                20-08-2019, 15:29 PM
                              • Reply to Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
                                ABC123
                                Well, while I’m not disagreeing, that’s kind of what I’m questioning. How far is a LL liable and does a T have an obligation to the LL to mitigate such expenses?

If there were 20 locked doors in the development before the locksmith could reach the bedroom then would the LL be liable...
                                20-08-2019, 19:49 PM
                              • would you accept these tenants with a void of nearly 5 months
                                Maikkia
                                Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice as everyone has been so helpful in the past. One of my 5 bed properties that used to be a family home is currently vacant for 5 months at the end of Aug. Its in the middle of nowhere and has always been difficult to rent out although a tenant family of 2...
                                20-08-2019, 18:22 PM
                              • Reply to would you accept these tenants with a void of nearly 5 months
                                AndrewDod
                                We should reiterate again that the only reason these folk are high-risk (and will have difficulty finding a property to let) is as a result of legislation. In a normal world where you could easily and efficiently evict tenants who did not fulfil their side of the contract, they would not be high-risk...
                                20-08-2019, 19:43 PM
                              • Reply to Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
                                nukecad
                                Maybe not as secure as you thought?
                                Maybe someone left them open or let him in?

Less cost than having to drill extra (communal) locks to get to the bedroom.
                                20-08-2019, 19:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X