Tenant Did a Runner No forwarding address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant Did a Runner No forwarding address

Tenant went missing after Signing 12 AST and paying £380 deposit and weeks rent £95 on 14th June. I registered deposit 20th June.Tenant made no further rent payments . On 16th July heard from Citizen advice Tenant has left and wants out of Tenancy. I agreed to him leaving. C/A sent me another letter via email signed by Tenant giving up Tenancy 16 July and returned keys by post. I am proposing to deduct unpaid rent from deposit which would leave £27 refund. I have no forwarding address. Tenant won't answer Mobile phone or reply to emails. Should I just wait and see if a dispute is raised by Tenant with TDS.?
    thank you for any advice

I'd see what happens with the deposit first.
    And then be prepared to hand over £27 if the tenant ever gets in touch.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      I'd see what happens with the deposit first.
      And then be prepared to hand over £27 if the tenant ever gets in touch.
      WTF?

O/p should be able to charge rent until he gets a new tenant, shouldn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

WTF?

O/p should be able to charge rent until he gets a new tenant, shouldn't he?
        It depends on the agreed terms of surrender.
        Once LL has accepted possession, then no further rent is due.
        That is why the terms should be agreed and all financial aspects settled before signing deed of surrender.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
          Orangesandlemons
          Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
          22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
        • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
          AndrewDod
          - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
          22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
        • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
          Joe.K
          Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
          The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
          20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
        • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
          Joe.K
          Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
          22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
        • Agent ignoring periodic option
          oakhill
          My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
          I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
          I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
          21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
        • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
          doobrey
          Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
          22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
        • bugs and insects
          Bobby Bakshi
          I have a new tenant and she is complaining about small insects in the flat. I found one tiny one on the ceiling. She is saying there are more but I cannot see them. Is this my responsibility or hers, she has just moved in.
          22-08-2019, 18:51 PM
        • Reply to bugs and insects
          AndrewDod
          The average normal home has hundreds of species of insects and thousands of individual creatures. It is totally normal. If there are no insects at all, the place would have to be so filled with pesticides that they would pose a massive danger to health.

Only a few kinds are bad. Bed bugs...
          22-08-2019, 19:55 PM
        • Inventory not signed
          braquo99
          hi all new land lord here

I created an inventory and passed to the letting agency (tenant find only) who emailed it over to the tenants when they moved in (I was on holiday)
          the tenants came back with some queries and I amended the inventory and mailed it back.

i am now...
          22-08-2019, 19:40 PM
        • Reply to Inventory not signed
          AndrewDod
          Fire the agent as soon as possible. The tenants should not have been given keys without at least some signed inventory....
          22-08-2019, 19:50 PM
        Working...
        X