Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time Landlord help - Social care tenant

Hi,

I am a first time buyer who is half way through purchasing a one bedroom apartment . The solicitor called me today to inform me that the property is already tenanted ( which I already knew) however that it is let through a company who find housing for ex foster children who are now between the ages of 18-22 who are making their first steps In to independance

Quite apart from the fact I'm annoyed that the estate agent didn't mention this at any point when I went through the process of purchasing the property through them (I'm sure my naivety didn't help matters). I am also now concerned as to what this could mean for my property in the future.

I did some research and phoned the company involved who explained what they do, and said that and outreach person goes over a minimum of five hours a week to check that they are keeping the place clean and health and safety is being followed, and that they have a large contract with the estate agent I am purchasing the apartment through.

what advice would anyone give in these circumstances? I haven't signed any agreements with the estate agents to manage the property on my behalf yet as we haven't got to that stage, but I'm obviously concerned thet this may be a risk, or removing the tenant if needed could be difficult at the and of the ( 6 month) tenancy.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

You are right to be concerned, the tenant could be a dedicated student who makes no noise or annoys anyone ..... but..... how long has he been there ? Have you also thought of talking to the local neighbourhood policing unit to ask if there has been any ASB from that address, if you speak with the local PCSO they can advise you if there have been issues at the address, this will give you an indication of the kind of individual being housed, i would also speak with the other flat owners and find out if there have been issues...... if you do go ahead and there is a significant ASB issue then you will be taking on the problem, as said it could be ok but you need to be sure.

N.B Also how can you terminate the tenancy and the companies involvement in the flat ? I would want to know my options in terms of making a fresh start if i wanted too, are there any restrictions etc.

Comment

Your prospective tenant is the company and this is a commercial tenancy.

You will probably want to read this thread: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ha-tenancy-hmo

Comment

You will buy a property with sitting Ts unless you buy with 'vacant possession'.
        Personally I would withdraw your offer and find another property.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. The tenancy is for 6 months ( the tenant has been in the property for one month already) and moved in shortly before my offer was accepted. The estate agency did inform me that they had sourced a tenant for the apartment but didn't mention it was through a company scheme such as this.

Comment

The agent is acting for the seller, not you and they are not being exactly honest with you.

I think you want to consider whether the property represents good value when you take the new circumstances into account.
            A property that looks a good deal is not so much of a good deal if the cost and inconvenience of getting the tenant out could be quite high.
            On the other hand, if you think the revenue from the company is reasonable and you are happy for the relationship to continue, that might go the other way.

If it's let to a company, it's not and AST (the "typical" landlord / residential tenant arrangement), so be careful when looking up information and getting advice, because a lot of what you read won't apply - there's no section 21 notice for example.

The wording of the tenancy agreement is going to be very important because all of the important terms of the agreement will be in it. Like notice, who and how it can be effected.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Well I received a call from the estate agent this morning and apparently the seller has decided to pull out after all this, making the above irrelevant! thank you for all your replies though, I will no doubt be back again as my search starts again!

Comment

Excellent news, your best out of that one.

Comment

If the outreacher worker spends several hours per week there then it's possible that they will have designated one of the rooms as an office, in which case this could be a commercial tenancy governed by the l&t act 1954 with an automatic right to renew

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X