Formal way to "ask tenants to leave"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formal way to "ask tenants to leave"?

What is the proper and formal way to ask tenants on a periodic contract to vacate a property if you're on good terms with them and they've been paying the rent on time, etc?
    Is it a notice to quit?
    The term eviction to me sounds like when tenants are not paying the rent or you want to forcibly kick them out. Would it be the proper term to use in the above case? S21, S8 etc seem more appropriate for this type of eviction...

I'd send a friendly letter mentioning that you are attaching a s21 notice.

Comment

Section 21 is the formal way of removing an AST tenant when they are not at fault. One of the current problems with it is that it is often being used instead of section 8 grounds (not all of which actually involve fault).

You don't need to do anything formal, apart from accept their surrender, if they will respond well to an informal request.

Comment

I did plan on a friendly letter but still need the S21? I always associate it with tenants who don't pay or don't want to leave. Never seen any other forms though (except S8)...

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
          Section 21 is the formal way of removing an AST tenant when they are not at fault. One of the current problems with it is that it is often being used instead of section 8 grounds (not all of which actually involve fault).

You don't need to do anything formal, apart from accept their surrender, if they will respond well to an informal request.
          Well, the S21 is pretty formal.
          OK, looks like this is the way to go.

What about this notice to quit for LL? Nobody uses that?

Comment

You only need the section 21 if you think they may refuse to leave, or may be unable to obtain suitable alternative accommodation sufficiently quickly.

The former because you will need it to be able to take court action. The latter because it triggers a limited amount of support for them from the council (but don't discuss this with them, as there must not be any collusion to obtain that support).

Comment

Talk to them and tell them that you want/need them to leave.
              Explain that you will have to serve formal notice at some point, but you want to give them longer than the short amount of time a formal notice gives them.

A s21 notice has to give a minimum of 2 month's notice, but expires after 6 months, so if you serve it now, you have a deadline and it's more stressful for everyone.

However, there are only two notices a landlord can give a tenant to formally commence the process of ending a tenancy and they are notice under section 8 and 21 of the housing act 1988.
              Without grounds, section 21 is the only option.
              If the tenancy is recent, use Form 6a.

Your notice doesn't end the tenancy, but it does allow you to go to court for possession if the tenant doesn't leave as requested.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by kelbol;

What about this notice to quit for LL? Nobody uses that?
                Notice to quit has no effect under an assured tenancy

Comment

Originally posted by kelbol View Post
                  The term eviction to me sounds like when tenants are not paying the rent or you want to forcibly kick them out.
                  Eviction is when you ask for your property back, tenants refuse, and you go through the court and bailiff process.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
                    srclinton
                    I have new tenants lined up for rental of property. However the lead tenant's nephew will also be living there but lead, who will be sole named on the tenancy, will be out of the country until after the tenancy starts. The nephew will be moving in prior his return with lead tenants permission.
                    21-08-2019, 19:04 PM
                  • Reply to Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
                    srclinton
                    All noted. Thank you all....
                    22-08-2019, 22:55 PM
                  • Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
                    kaidranzer
                    Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency...
                    11-11-2018, 23:46 PM
                  • Reply to Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
                    Sydney
                    Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different...
                    22-08-2019, 22:05 PM
                  • Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                    Orangesandlemons
                    Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
                    22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
                  • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
                    AndrewDod
                    - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
                    22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
                  • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                    Joe.K
                    Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
                    The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
                    20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
                  • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
                    Joe.K
                    Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
                    22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
                  • Agent ignoring periodic option
                    oakhill
                    My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
                    I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
                    I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
                    21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
                  • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
                    doobrey
                    Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
                    22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
                  Working...
                  X