Interior Designers for Rentals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior Designers for Rentals?

Has anybody ever used one? What was your experience?

(I can see the relevance - maybe - for new Build to Rent developments, or certain refurbs, or for paticular requirements.)

Thoughts?

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

I have never used one, although my properties are well above standard in terms of decor i am still on the outskirts of Manchester and my ROI would not be enhanced by shelling out for the fees, i would say if your in London or similar in something high end ..... maybe, but otherwise i see it as a vanity project and will not add rent but could possibly get a tenant quicker or steal one who was going to go elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
      I have never used one, although my properties are well above standard in terms of decor i am still on the outskirts of Manchester and my ROI would not be enhanced by shelling out for the fees, i would say if your in London or similar in something high end ..... maybe, but otherwise i see it as a vanity project and will not add rent but could possibly get a tenant quicker or steal one who was going to go elsewhere.
      I think that is about the size of it.

Comment

I now routinely use an interior designer for my refurbs. For context, I am primarily doing HMOs (mainly student houses, but some for working people, and the odd non-HMO property for young professionals) in an area of the country where house prices and rents are somewhat below the national average. I would say that her fee is more than paid for by the increased capital valuations I get on remortgage, and the increased rent my agent achieves. In addition, she takes a lot of the strain from managing builders (around the start of the second fix she basically completely takes over on my behalf) and also procuring fixtures and furnishings: if I were to notionally monetise my time in relation to these tasks, it wouldn't be too different from what I'm paying her anyway.

So in short I haven't looked back, but obviously my model won't work for every type of letting. I'd guess that student and other HMO tenants, and young professionals, are perhaps a bit more susceptible to the "wow factor" in terms of how much rent they're willing to pay than family tenants.

Comment

JamesHopeful

Interesting. The house is in a provincial city in a good location close to the University.

My LA thinks that it will generate a premium rent. So we going to see what happens.

Will be interesting to see - thanks for the comment.

ML

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X