Statutory periodic tenancy vs contractural periodic tenancy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statutory periodic tenancy vs contractural periodic tenancy.

Having learned that a tenant without giving notice is still liable for council tax if a contractural periodic tenancy comes onto force at the end of a 6 month fixed term simply by adding this to the agreement, are there any disadvantages for a Landlord in adding this to a contract such as a change in timing of section 21 for instance or is everything pretty much the same other than the tenant is on the hook for council tax until they properly surrender the property ?

A contractual periodic tenancy isn't the same as a statutory periodic tenancy in a number of areas.

Whether they're positive or negative is a personal thing (I think that the latest RLA agreement creates a contractual periodic tenancy for example).

A significant change is that with a contractual periodic tenancy, the contractual notice periods aren't replaced by legislation when the tenancy becomes periodic, for example.

A practical issue is that they're not that well understood, and I can imagine getting a local authority, tenant or court to understand would be an issue.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you provide for the tenancy to be periodic at the outset then, even if the first period is longer than each subsequent period, you only have one tenancy. Advantages of that are (a) you only need to protect any deposit once (b) you do not need to consider whether any inventory and/or schedule of condition needs to be updated (c) any terms of the tenancy relating to notice and increasing rent will always apply.

You need to get the drafting right, in particular avoiding complications. Definitely to be avoided is assigning different notice periods to landlord and tenant.

Note on terminology:

Fixed term tenancy: A tenancy which will end on a specified date.

Periodic tenancy: A tenancy where at any given moment the maximum duration of the tenancy can be ascertained.

Tenancies are either fixed or periodic.

(The above ignores statutory intervention and oddities like tenancies at will.)

Elsewhere (referring to them as "fixed term plus") I have suggested that a tenancy can start off as fixed term and continue as periodic. That does not fit in with the above definitions and on that account should be considered incorrect. Whilst it may be considered convenient to think of a tenancy granted for, say, "six months from X and thereafter from month to month" as being something of a hybrid it is a periodic tenancy. As I said above, the first period can be longer than each subsequent period. However, from the point of view of analysing why a periodic tenancy complies with the requirement that the duration of a tenancy must be certain, the law considers the tenancy has having been granted initially for a fixed period. Accordingly, every periodic tenancy starts with a fixed period, but that does not stop fixed term tenancies and period tenancies being two distinct things.

Comment

For section 21 purposes, it is a fixed tenancy.

Comment

For section 21 purposes, if in Wales the notice must end on the last day of a period of the tenancy. If the period is longer than monthly, then the length of the notice will be more than 2 months.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
            For section 21 purposes, it is a fixed tenancy.
            Which can cause a delay if you have an uncooperative tenant, because you can't use a s21 notice until you bring the fixed tenancy to an end.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              Which can cause a delay if you have an uncooperative tenant, because you can't use a s21 notice until you bring the fixed tenancy to an end.
              What I meant is that section 21 is worded so that, if the tenancy starts as a fixed tenancy, it doesn't matter whether the continuation is statutory or contractual. The notice period is still not linked to the rental period.. This is 21(1), 21(1)(a) excludes an "assured shorthold periodic tenancy (whether statutory or not)" in deciding whether there is an ongoing tenancy for this purpose.

If the tenancy starts as periodic, it then matters whether or not it is in England, as sub-paragraph 4ZA removes the requirement to align with a period of the tenancy.

Comment

Assuming you mean that a CPT could be under s21(1), I'm not convinced that's correct.
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                  What I meant is that section 21 is worded so that, if the tenancy starts as a fixed tenancy, it doesn't matter whether the continuation is statutory or contractual.
                  If my definition of a fixed term tenancy is correct, that is that it is a tenancy which only has one possible end date (excluding any early termination by surrender, forfeiture, exercise of a right to break or whatever other than effluxion of time) then a tenancy granted for any length of time and expressed one way or another to continue as a periodic tenancy is not a fixed term tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

If my definition of a fixed term tenancy is correct, that is that it is a tenancy which only has one possible end date (excluding any early termination by surrender, forfeiture, exercise of a right to break or whatever other than effluxion of time) then a tenancy granted for any length of time and expressed one way or another to continue as a periodic tenancy is not a fixed term tenancy.
                    The sub-paragraph in question only applies after the end of "fixed tenancy", but explicitly includes the possibility of an SPT, or other periodic continuation.

Comment

But the point is that subsection (1) applies "on or after the coming to an end of an assured shorthold tenancy which was a fixed term tenancy". If the tenancy was never fixed term, subsesction (1) does not apply.

Comment

The other advantage of a contractual periodic tenancy for the landlord is that the council tax liability is clearly with the tenant as long as the first period of the CPT is at least 6 months.

Comment

I can't help feel that the issue of a tenant fudging a few days council tax isn't serious enough to cause someone to switch to a contractual periodic tenancy.

There's a lot of other things that would need to change in parallel (including educating the tenant that their tenancy worked in a different way than most people's when it comes to notice, for example).

Comment

I agree that on its own it might not persuade them, but I think its about the accumulation of benefits, including the requirement to give notice at the end of the first term etc. It seems to have been enough to persuade the landlord associations to make their model tenancy agreements CPT by default too, which has an impact on people's choices.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                              I can't help feel that the issue of a tenant fudging a few days council tax isn't serious enough to cause someone to switch to a contractual periodic tenancy.
                              A few days, no, but if T moves out (or tells council they moved out) a month or more before ending the tenancy, then yes.

It also removes any possibility of failing to do anything that needs to be done (either existing or future requirement) when a SPT arises.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 'pausing' a tenancy
                                henry_of_hillbridge
                                Hi everyone,

I'm here seeking for opinions from more experienced landlords. I'm brand new in the forum and in the landlord world and English is not my first language, so please forgive any absurdities you may hear from me.

I recently bought a flat in Edinburgh which I'm renting...
                                20-08-2019, 19:59 PM
                              • Reply to 'pausing' a tenancy
                                Ted.E.Bear
                                There is a specific forum for questions about tenancies in Scotland.

My guess is that you could possibly arrange to sublet from your tenant during that period - but there is no real way to be sure they will actually move out.
                                It may not be possible, but would likely be difficult...
                                20-08-2019, 20:33 PM
                              • Reply to 'pausing' a tenancy
                                AndrewDod
                                In an ideal world where mature adults could contract with each other as mature adults you could do this.

However given the state of play in 2019 this is not a safe thing to do. There is no way you can write a contract to guarantee it will be available to you to put on AirBnB. So the tenant...
                                20-08-2019, 20:28 PM
                              • Can I charge...
                                t-mhrwl
                                I have paid an agent to market my property. They have found a tenant who was due to move in yesterday. The dates have already been delayed once. They have paid 3 months advance rent and a 5 week deposit. All paperwork has been prepared and checked by all parties. The tenant has now decided they don't...
                                17-08-2019, 12:08 PM
                              • Reply to Can I charge...
                                t-mhrwl
                                Thanks all....
                                20-08-2019, 20:13 PM
                              • Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
                                ABC123
                                Just wondering what people's opinions were on this.

The block has a front door that opens onto a courtyard and then a door that leads into a stairwell and then the door to the flat. A separate key is needed for each door.

The tenant says he put the latch on the door to the...
                                20-08-2019, 15:29 PM
                              • Reply to Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
                                ABC123
                                Well, while I’m not disagreeing, that’s kind of what I’m questioning. How far is a LL liable and does a T have an obligation to the LL to mitigate such expenses?

If there were 20 locked doors in the development before the locksmith could reach the bedroom then would the LL be liable...
                                20-08-2019, 19:49 PM
                              • would you accept these tenants with a void of nearly 5 months
                                Maikkia
                                Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice as everyone has been so helpful in the past. One of my 5 bed properties that used to be a family home is currently vacant for 5 months at the end of Aug. Its in the middle of nowhere and has always been difficult to rent out although a tenant family of 2...
                                20-08-2019, 18:22 PM
                              • Reply to would you accept these tenants with a void of nearly 5 months
                                AndrewDod
                                We should reiterate again that the only reason these folk are high-risk (and will have difficulty finding a property to let) is as a result of legislation. In a normal world where you could easily and efficiently evict tenants who did not fulfil their side of the contract, they would not be high-risk...
                                20-08-2019, 19:43 PM
                              • Reply to Whose Responsibility For Change Of Locks?
                                nukecad
                                Maybe not as secure as you thought?
                                Maybe someone left them open or let him in?

Less cost than having to drill extra (communal) locks to get to the bedroom.
                                20-08-2019, 19:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X