X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
    What a fabulous and thoughtful thread.

kelbol

>How can a LL tell if the tenant will be short-term or not if the tenant doesn't want to reveal that? Especially in the new climate that will favour longer-term tenancies, tenants would learn to present themselves as long-term.

Is that not the professionalism of being a landlord eg judging the type of tenant and doing your references and checks? Whether you go eg for someone working a 12 month contract, or a couple with a 3 year old moving in near a primary school, or someone with a dog taking early retirement?

And how assiduously you follow up your refs. If they are a Kiwi, do you check their credit reference in NZ, and so on?

ML
    12 month contract: how would you know that if the reference from work just says "I confirm that XYZ is a full time employee of ABC..."
    Or that person may well want to stay long-term despite a short work contract.

With 3 year old kid: the kid has about 2 more years to start school. Maybe the family is renting while looking for a new place to buy.

Early retirement: could well be renting until buying a new place too. Or will go travelling round the world shortly, or will move closer to family in X amount of time.

Personally, I don't believe too much in references. People can write and believe anything. I prefer to look at bank statements. If there's a salary coming in every month regularly, what's the point of a work reference? That person may have been employed for 5 years and lose his job the next month anyway. The reference is worth nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by kelbol View Post

Personally, I don't believe too much in references. People can write and believe anything. I prefer to look at bank statements.
      Why not do both?
      A reference is one of the start points for checking and digging. If it is false or exaggerated a landlord can make a decision accordingly.
      The other stuff is run of the mill questions. I always ask why they are renting and future intentions.
      Sure, they can lie but it is pretty easy to see through it on most things.

Comment

Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post

And how assiduously you follow up your refs. If they are a Kiwi, do you check their credit reference in NZ, and so on?
        Yes. Tenant verify advertise on this site and provide that service (there are other providers).

I had a NZ tenant who gave a professor for a reference. Phoned up the university and spoke to him direct. He even told me to get in touch in the unlikely event of the tenant having trouble paying the rent and he would pay it himself. Looked up the family home, phoned the Father, had a good talk with him, passed me on to the Mother, reassured her. Begged me to phone them if any problems at all.
        Obviously spoke to the new employer too.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
          It hasn't JPK, London dropped off more than elsewhere (Brexit) but increases have been consistently steady since 2014.
          Look at this;

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/infla...eviousReleases
          This is all interesting.

Just wanted to thank you for the information and for making me think!
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

Just wanted to thank you for the information and for making me think!
            Mutual, good to debate it with someone open minded.
            Those knowledgeable 'on the other side' tend to have their own vested interests, landlord bashing has become big business.

Comment

What a fabulous and thoughtful thread.

kelbol

>How can a LL tell if the tenant will be short-term or not if the tenant doesn't want to reveal that? Especially in the new climate that will favour longer-term tenancies, tenants would learn to present themselves as long-term.

Is that not the professionalism of being a landlord eg judging the type of tenant and doing your references and checks? Whether you go eg for someone working a 12 month contract, or a couple with a 3 year old moving in near a primary school, or someone with a dog taking early retirement?

ML
              Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X