• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kelbol View Post
    It's a bit like playing the lottery when taking tenants with pets
    It is.
    But only a little bit.
    Chances of winning the lottery are about one in 4 Million.
    Chances of being stiffed by a reliable, grateful, nice, pet owning tenant is a lot, lot lower than that.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
      If by winning, you mean the jackpot, I think you need to do the maths or look it up again.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

It is.
        But only a little bit.
        Chances of being stiffed by a reliable, grateful, nice, pet owning tenant is a lot, lot lower than that.
        Fair enough to you if you want to have a diverse set of tenants, but I'm happy to stick to tenants without pets and never find out my chances. I can diversify in other ways

Comment

Some of my best tenants have pets.

People with pets have usually elected to be responsible for a living thing, which is a positive for me.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

My previous neighbours renting their place had a dog. They and the dog trashed the place. Granted, they were a group of teenagers. But you can't generalise. All pet owners are responsible or all pet owners trash the place. Myself I just prefer to remove this unknown and lots of LL do so.
            I just remembered, neigbours on the other side had a cat and a dog. Pristine place.

Comment

I allow pets - mainly good experiences!
              So back to the referencing thing - if I cannot charge at cost for referencing (which I did anyway) then is it legal to give the tenant the details of a certain referencing company and say (in writing) that although it is not a prerequisite for letting to them, it may assist their application if they get a check done although it is not a requirement? Just a thought!
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

That would defeat the object of the legislation as you are directing them towards a particular supplier. Whilst credit referencing agencies don't give kick backs at the moment, one of the things the legislation will be trying to avoid is directing people to suppliers who give the landlord commission.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                  ...is it legal to give the tenant the details of a certain referencing company and say (in writing) that although it is not a prerequisite for letting to them, it may assist their application if they get a check done although it is not a requirement?
                  This is quite a common legal game, like claiming that using the word "allegedly" before accusing someone of something is a defence against libel.
                  If the "suggestion" is such that a reasonable person would consider it's really mandatory, it's not really a suggestion.

Whether a tenant would ever make a claim on that basis seems remote, though.

I'm expecting to see adverts with wording like "Priority will be given to tenants able to supply a recent credit report".
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Very interesting viewpoints thank you. I will watch what happens with interest!
                    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Another interpretation of that research is that in a boyant market, landlords are less prepared to put up with tenant misdemeanors. JPK pointed out the often prohibitive cost of changing tenants and that could mean that landlords in those areas tolerate a higher level of late rent payments, anti-social behaviour, not taking care of the property etc than those in London, (at that time), where landlords knew that the next tenant was only a couple of weeks away and possibly paying a higher rent. That's very different to greed.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        I think that what happens (broadly) is that some landlords increase the rent until the tenant can't afford another increase and then serve notice to the tenant.

In my part of the world (the West Midlands) rents don't increase at anywhere near the rate that they do in (say) London and Cambridge and aren't as high to start with, and, for me, the cost and void period would wipe out the benefit of a rent increase for a long time.
                        I respect you as a contributor, but you are very wrong on these points. We have to very careful and not believe every piece of anti-landlord BS, which ends up in the newspapers. Journalists are after a sleaze story, and there are groups with their own agenda happy to supply it to them. Even if it means putting lies in newspapers. Who is going to sue the journalists if they get a story wrong? The NLA, RLA etc.. show be taking complaints to the press commission etc....

I gate crashed a few NLA meetings in London and South East. I got a sense of what is happening. Most landlords were not putting up rents every six months as you describe. All the landlords, said, it could cost money in commissions and void periods. Although, I can imagine an unethical letting agency, perhaps being more interested if the tenant left. As they get a new commission. ....

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
                          I respect you as a contributor, but you are very wrong on these points.
                          Thank you, the feeling is mutual, and I'm more than happy to b disagreed with so politely! (and I am often wrong).

The source of my "theory" isn't the press.
                          Some of it is coloured by having been a tenant in London (albeit years ago), when the rent was increased every six months.
                          And the rest was inspired by a (broadly pro-tenant) solicitor.

And I do agree with you about the press relating to landlords.

But I'd be interested in anything else that can explain the difference in eviction rates in different areas.
                          I'm not saying its all one cause, because life isn't that simple, but the discrepancy is quite big.

2/3rds of all evictions under s21 (that go to court, so that's presumably less than the number of notices served) are in London, which has about 15% of the housing stock.
                          I can't imagine that people in London are that much more likely to get into arrears, cause damage or have landlords who want to sell up than in any other part of the UK.
                          Possibly, more likely because of the massive rents in London, but not that more likely.

I'd be more than interested in hearing different theories and conclusions.

Comment

I gave you one in post #40

Comment

I gave you one in post #25

Also analysed the economics in post #15.

Comment

It was a snapshot chosen at a cleverly selected time to fit an agenda.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X