New carpets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New carpets

hello I have been in my rented property for 10 years now and the carpets are freying (I’ve resorted to gaffa tape) they are coming away at every door tred and even at the stairs. I have contacted the letting agent several times and they don’t even get back to me! Am I responsible for getting new carpets or should the landlord do this?? Thanks in advance

Depends on your tenancy agreement, but I think the starting point is that no-one is responsible.

Comment

No one is responsible. It is wear and tear. Propose to the landlord that she increase your rent and in exchange do some re-carpeting.

Comment

I would suggest that they are the LL's & 10 years would be considered an average life for a carpet with normal wear & tear. It is difficult to replace carpets with a tenant in situ &, of course, expensive, but if you rent has increased over the 10 years, as a LL I would expect to replace some carpets. Fraying carpets are a hazard, especially near stairs, so you could try pointing this out to your agent.

If your rent has not increased & you intend to stay another 10 years you might consider asking if you can replace them yourself.

Comment

Most carpets won't last more than 10 years and the landlord should replace them (as a matter of routine, really).
          It doesn't matter if the rent has increased or not.

Legally the position is vague, because carpets are seen as a furnishing (oddly).
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What sort of property is this? If it's a flat the lease may require the landlord to have carpets.

Anyway I'd argue that if carpets were there when you moved it it is the landlord's responsibility to replace them and allowance for replacement should already be built into your rent.

You should have contact details for your landlord so contact them, in writing, directly - pointing out this is a health hazard. If you havent been given contact details you are legally entitled to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              No one is responsible. It is wear and tear. Propose to the landlord that she increase your rent and in exchange do some re-carpeting.
              I would disagree.
              • LL supplied them, so LL's carpets.
              • Rent paid for 10 years includes provision for depreciation for wear and tear.
              • T should not expect to pay more rent to get the LL to do what any reasonable LL would do between lettings anyway.

Comment

Assuming that a landlord is willing to renew carpets periodically with tenants in situ (its far easier to do between tenancies), is it reasonable to expect the tenant to be responsible for completely clearing the room of their own furniture and possessions so that the carpet fitter is not impeded in his work?

Comment

You suggest that the carpets are freying on the stairs as well as other areas. If this is a health and safety issue then it is the landlords responsibility to deal with that, although that doesn't automatically mean replacing the carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by StuartH View Post
                    Assuming that a landlord is willing to renew carpets periodically with tenants in situ (its far easier to do between tenancies), is it reasonable to expect the tenant to be responsible for completely clearing the room of their own furniture and possessions so that the carpet fitter is not impeded in his work?
                    imo it is reasonable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Landlord in Distress
                      by royw
                      With 'experts' like ours you don't need enemies. Ignore what you can see happened in China and Italy and what the WHO and every other health expert says and deliberately allow it spread to create herd immunity. I'm glad BJ listened to popular opinion and reversed this policy.
                      These are same experts...
                      28-03-2020, 17:28 PM
                    • Landlord in Distress
                      by Roydravid
                      Hello ,

My tenant has stopped paying the rent on from the 5th of MArch 2020. This was the first month they stopped the rent . It is a period tenancy after one year tenancy agreement in 2018.
                      The Tenant has changed the locks and denied access for inspection and essential works . ...
                      25-03-2020, 06:26 AM
                    • Reply to Tenant asks for rent reduction
                      by jpkeates
                      Welcome Lillylisa.

I would simply decline their request. You are under no obligation to reduce the rent.
                      The tenants are simply taking the mickey.

If they want the rent reduced for a short period and then to pay increased rent to pay you back, that's one thing, but I...
                      28-03-2020, 16:57 PM
                    • Tenant asks for rent reduction
                      by Interlaken
                      I expect I won't be the first in this situation.

Couple on SPT been in over 2 years. Decent, reliable rent paying young professionals. One who works in high end hospitality has been laid off indefinitely and is asking for rent reduction during this strange situation. Tenant is to apply...
                      28-03-2020, 11:47 AM
                    • Reply to Six Months AST or Twelve Months AST with Mutual Break Clause
                      by Stew
                      Thanks for all the responses, I notice on the contract there is also an option to have a six months contract with a mutual break clause at six months which does not make sense to me so will remove the mutual break clause and just go with the fixed six months then rolling.

All the best ...
                      28-03-2020, 16:39 PM
                    • Six Months AST or Twelve Months AST with Mutual Break Clause
                      by Stew
                      Hi wondering if during these times for new AST's I should be doing

a) 12 Months AST with 6 Months mutual break clause
                      b) 6 Months AST

Rather than worrying about the longer letter my main concern is being able to take back control of the property as soon as possible if...
                      28-03-2020, 12:45 PM
                    • Reply to Landlord in Distress
                      by Lawcruncher
                      With Trump what you see is what you get. BJ has been putting on a great act for years to achieve his lifetime ambition of being PM. Now he's got there and faces an unprecedented crisis he knows he has to come across as statesmanlike. He also knows he needs to get it right as it is the government in...
                      28-03-2020, 16:37 PM
                    • Reply to Letting agency won’t accept rolling contract
                      by Lawcruncher
                      Please explain why you have to pay a termination fee.

Do not be browbeaten into doing something you do not want to do. I am afraid that many letting agents are experts at browbeating tenants. If and when they serve notice is the time to contact the landlord. In any event, as things stand...
                      28-03-2020, 16:22 PM
                    • Letting agency won’t accept rolling contract
                      by Confused19
                      Hello, I’d really appreciate some advice please.

we have been in our rented property just over a year. The letting agent kept pushing us to sign on to a 6 or 12 month tenancy but we were keen to stay on a rolling tenancy to offer more flexibility due to being self employed. We are now...
                      26-03-2020, 21:24 PM
                    • Reply to No EPC
                      by KTC
                      Why do you think you need a valid EPC for eviction?

Where is this property (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland)? When was the last time you agreed a new fixed term, renewal, or extension? What was the term of that? What type of tenancy is it?
                      28-03-2020, 16:22 PM
                    Working...
                    X