New carpets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New carpets

hello I have been in my rented property for 10 years now and the carpets are freying (I’ve resorted to gaffa tape) they are coming away at every door tred and even at the stairs. I have contacted the letting agent several times and they don’t even get back to me! Am I responsible for getting new carpets or should the landlord do this?? Thanks in advance

Depends on your tenancy agreement, but I think the starting point is that no-one is responsible.

Comment

No one is responsible. It is wear and tear. Propose to the landlord that she increase your rent and in exchange do some re-carpeting.

Comment

I would suggest that they are the LL's & 10 years would be considered an average life for a carpet with normal wear & tear. It is difficult to replace carpets with a tenant in situ &, of course, expensive, but if you rent has increased over the 10 years, as a LL I would expect to replace some carpets. Fraying carpets are a hazard, especially near stairs, so you could try pointing this out to your agent.

If your rent has not increased & you intend to stay another 10 years you might consider asking if you can replace them yourself.

Comment

Most carpets won't last more than 10 years and the landlord should replace them (as a matter of routine, really).
          It doesn't matter if the rent has increased or not.

Legally the position is vague, because carpets are seen as a furnishing (oddly).
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What sort of property is this? If it's a flat the lease may require the landlord to have carpets.

Anyway I'd argue that if carpets were there when you moved it it is the landlord's responsibility to replace them and allowance for replacement should already be built into your rent.

You should have contact details for your landlord so contact them, in writing, directly - pointing out this is a health hazard. If you havent been given contact details you are legally entitled to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              No one is responsible. It is wear and tear. Propose to the landlord that she increase your rent and in exchange do some re-carpeting.
              I would disagree.
              • LL supplied them, so LL's carpets.
              • Rent paid for 10 years includes provision for depreciation for wear and tear.
              • T should not expect to pay more rent to get the LL to do what any reasonable LL would do between lettings anyway.

Comment

Assuming that a landlord is willing to renew carpets periodically with tenants in situ (its far easier to do between tenancies), is it reasonable to expect the tenant to be responsible for completely clearing the room of their own furniture and possessions so that the carpet fitter is not impeded in his work?

Comment

You suggest that the carpets are freying on the stairs as well as other areas. If this is a health and safety issue then it is the landlords responsibility to deal with that, although that doesn't automatically mean replacing the carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by StuartH View Post
                    Assuming that a landlord is willing to renew carpets periodically with tenants in situ (its far easier to do between tenancies), is it reasonable to expect the tenant to be responsible for completely clearing the room of their own furniture and possessions so that the carpet fitter is not impeded in his work?
                    imo it is reasonable.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X