Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant referencing

Afternoon,

I'm just wondering if letting agents can with hold tenant references if I try and obtain a reference about a potential tenant myself aswell as getting a reference company to so the Same? I currently pay someone to do the referencing however for the 'previous landlord/agent' reference they don't ask all the questions that I would like to know about a potential tenant that wants to rent my property. Am I legally allowed to call the previous agency and ask them to answer the few questions that were not answered via a referencing company, for example character reference and if they often asked unreasonable demands and generally became a headache?

thanks

You can probably ask if have the prospective tenant's permission, and are prepared to pay, but they don't have to answer. Unreasonable demands and headaches are in the eyes and head of the beholder. They could just as easily be an indication that the previous agent was a rogue providing services for rogue landlords.

Comment

No professional agent should ever give someone a character reference or tell someone that a tenant has made unreasonable demands.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ok happy with that. Next question would be would you ever be willing to rent to someone with a moderate risk credit score?

Comment

Depends on what the tenant said up front to explain it (unless they're very young).

Young people typically don't have much history that's positive for credit rating.
          My son has a middling credit rating, but that's because he doesn't have any credit to speak of.

If someone could point to an issue outside their control that would lower their score, I'd listen.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

yep, I was going to say the same thing. We've just let to a young couple who, between them just about qualified on the financial front and had negligible credit history. But when we met them and took them through the property, we felt that this was a risk worth taking because of how they came across. It was a gut feeling that they're going to be good tenants and stay for a while.

IOW, the decision to take on a tenant is always a risk, but it's one that is a combination of a large number of factors, credit being only one albeit an important one. How much risk you can take is something you should assess in advance for each tenancy because this is all about investment and return.

Comment

I think all of my tenants had moderate risk scores, despite having decent well paid jobs and no big debts. I think its partly that the cost of rents, (esp in London) means you have to be a pretty high earner to get a low risk score.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X