Council tax debacle.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council tax debacle.

I had a tenant do a runner on the 10th May, I only learned of this on 11th June when no housing benefit was paid to me as it was direct payment.
    I received the keys from the tenants daughter on the 15th June, she signed a letter stating tenancy was surrendered and keys returned.
    I wrote to the council explaining what had happened, they have finally revised the bill but it is from 10th May rather than the 15th June when keys were handed back.
    I actually saw her at the house and talked t a couple of weeks after she said she had left.

Am I really liable for the time when she still had the keys or should she be liable for these few weeks. ?

Were the tenancy within a fixed term, contractual periodic, or statutory periodic? If periodic, what's the period of the tenancy (e.g. monthly, quarterly, half-yearly)? If contractual periodic, was there an initial fixed term and if so what was its length?
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Initial term was 6 months, it then went periodic.

Comment

You answered my first question, but not the 2nd (or 3rd). That information is required to give you a correct response.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

It says in the agreement that it will become statutory periodic at the end of the six month term

Comment

Assuming the tenant didn't pay the whole 6 months fixed term tenancy rent in advance making the SPT a 6-monthly periodic (again, there's a reason I asked), then the council is correct in its billing.

Whether you can separately sue your former tenant for the cost of the council tax depend on your tenancy agreement. If successfully sued, whether you get any money depends on your former tenant ability and willingness to pay of course.

Comment

For future, if I enter the line into the contract that at the end of the 6 month period the tenancy becomes a contractural periodic tenancy, would this leave the tenant with the bill rather than myself ?

Comment

Yes it would.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X